Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I broke the Novatech freehub on my wheelset in just under 40 miles and so I need something new. Decided to try my hand at building my own set. Bought a Performance Loco wheelset for just $130 to hold me over and as a backup once these are built. Planning on using Spank Subrosa rims paired with Hope Pro 2 hubs and DT Swiss Comp spokes. Should end up being around 1150 grams for the rear, and a bit less in the front. Will save me almost 300 grams over the Locos. They will be an AM/light freeride wheelset for my Transition Vagrant. I weigh 150 lbs.

First, does this seem like a good combo? Something strong but not too heavy. Second, How do I know what length of spokes to buy? Do I need to wait until the hubs and rims are here so that I can measure them? How important is spokefreeze? Can I just use loctite of some sort? Anything else?

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I can't answer your first questions but I can for these -

Glynis27 said:
How do I know what length of spokes to buy? Do I need to wait until the hubs and rims are here so that I can measure them?
You find yourself a nice Spoke Calculator from the 'net. Google those words and a few will come up but I'll save you some time. Try Roger Musson's Wheelpro Spoke Calculator. It works great but so do the others. You can look in the calculators to see if the specs for your parts are already listed or go to the manufacturers' sites to see if they list them.

How important is spokefreeze? Can I just use loctite of some sort? Anything else?
Read my wheelbuilding info in my sig line for my opinion of that issue. Tension is what holds nipples onto spokes, not some form of glue.

You'll see a link in my info to Roger's wheelbuilding ee-book. The single best thing you can do for your future wheelbuilding is to buy it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike T. said:
I can't answer your first questions but I can for these -

You find yourself a nice Spoke Calculator from the 'net. Google those words and a few will come up but I'll save you some time. Try Roger Musson's Wheelpro Spoke Calculator. It works great but so do the others. You can look in the calculators to see if the specs for your parts are already listed or go to the manufacturers' sites to see if they list them.

Read my wheelbuilding info in my sig line for my opinion of that issue. Tension is what holds nipples onto spokes, not some form of glue.

You'll see a link in my info to Roger's wheelbuilding ee-book. The single best thing you can do for your future wheelbuilding is to buy it.
I was going to pick up "The Bicycle Wheel" but I will have to check this out as well. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.