Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd wanted to build my own wheels for a while. I've been truing my own wheels for years. Thanks to another member on this forum, I stumbled onto a Light Bicycle carbon 26" rim at a very good price. It came with some spokes and alloy nipples.
I needed a hub, so I cannibalized a swap meet wheel I had lying around. The Rhyno Lite rim was still rideable, but the DT Swiss 240 HüGI front hub was just the ticket for this build.
As it turned out, half of the spokes that came with the rim were the right size for the disc side, so I ordered some for the other side, and some brass nipples.
I made a bunch of first-timer goofs, so it took longer than I'd hoped. But I now know I can do it.
The picture shows a cheap-*ss truing stand off eBay. It's not horrible, but the centering feature is pretty much useless. Another lesson learned.

· always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
A friend of mine here made a wheel truing stand out of Lego over 15 years ago. He still uses it :) he makes awesome wheels. If you want, i can e-ntroduce you for any wheel building tips.

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
It is a cool looking stand. Remember you can flip the wheel back and forth to establish center if the stand is off.

Reactions: Shark and stripes

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Just a cheap dish tool would suffice. Even the expensive park has centering issues and needs an expensive tool to align.
Yep. I finally gave up on it's centering alignment. I have the tool, align it, and two builds later it is off. :mad:

• Sad
Reactions: chucko58

· Older than I feel
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, I do have the Park Wheel Alignment Gauge, and I've used it quite a bit in the past. I get confused about which way the rim needs to move when I use it, though. I haven't broken it out yet for this build. So far I've just flipped the wheel back and forth in the stand.

That truing stand is one you can get from about a dozen different eBay vendors, all within a couple of bucks in price from each other, and all either claiming to be located in Chico, CA or Edison, NY. I think they're all aliases for the same vendor. I purchased mine from one of the "California" vendors - and it shipped from New Jersey.

It's part amusing, part disturbing to watch the AliExpress vendors taking over eBay.

· Premium Member
8,740 Posts
I've trued many wheel on the frame, it's not hard, "straight" is a relative term ;)
Lot less important with no rim brakes. I aim for even tension over a perfect true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.