Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys...

So need some assistance. Looking at the following and need some guidance, exactly how much of the physical build i will do myself is to be seen, there will def be assistance, but would like to do most of the buy/decisions myself to learn.

Sites from which I can purchase would be appreciated.

Phase #1 wheels will be build onto Aluminium rims with a ERD of 594mm (See attached)

Hubs, Chris King ISO Boost, front and rear (32 hole)
Front : Flange Diameter Drive Side & Non-Drive Side (mm) 57.4mm
Front : Center to Flange Drive Side (mm) 26.9
Rear : 57.4
Rear : 24.0

Rear is +5mm offset

Phase #2 wheels will be rebuild onto carbon, this will be either DeeD carbon or FHR930C 30mm depth/30mm wide carbon mtb rim 29er - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

when doing this page #2 rebuild, I want to use the same spokes, will require to cut them shorter (ERD 584mm and rethreading).

Comment on these rims would be appreciated,

I'm looking at a 2 cross Sapim spokes (all my other bikes always build with them), not sure between normal or double butted.
Whats the benefit of say the double butted.

Can you assist in figuring out the spoke length. please point me to web site that can assist.

Can you assist in deciding which nipples,

If I look online some comments are to put little bit of oil into nipple as tightening it, assist long term.

I'm a noob so please be gentle.

Tyres will be Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front, Ardent race 2.25 rear, or (Fav wheel combo) Vittori Barzo 2.35 front Suguaro 2.2 rear

Fork is a Rockshox SID 29er Boost.
Frame Pyga Stage

G

Line Guitar accessory Circle Parallel Diagram

White Line Black Grey Gadget

Text White Line Black Bicycle wheel rim

Circle Silver

Circle Household hardware Transmission part Axle part Cylinder

Product Aqua Cylinder Household hardware Transmission part

·
Registered
505 Posts
First and foremost, I strongly suggest thoroughly reading Sheldon Brown's wheelbuilding page:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Phase #1 wheels will be build onto Aluminium rims with a ERD of 594mm (See attached)

Phase #2 wheels will be rebuild onto carbon, this will be either DeeD carbon or FHR930C 30mm depth/30mm wide carbon mtb rim 29er - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd
Why are you building your wheels twice? Not sure I understood. I'd build with the carbon rims for once. Cannot say much about the brand, but there's an extensive topic about the subject

when doing this page #2 rebuild, I want to use the same spokes, will require to cut them shorter (ERD 584mm and rethreading).
Please don't. Will be a lot of work, you'll lose the surface treatment and won't be as good as new spokes. Spokes are cheap enough not to need to do that.

I'm looking at a 2 cross Sapim spokes (all my other bikes always build with them), not sure between normal or double butted.
Are you sure you counted 2-cross right? Note that the first cross usually happens almost inside the flange of the hub. I don't see reason to lace 2-cross on generic hubs/rims, other than saving a tiny bit of weight (although wheel will be weaker/flexier).

Whats the benefit of say the double butted.
You keep a higher tension on the spoke, that prevents failure due to fatigue, and saves another tiny bit of weight. I wouldn't worry much for a first build.

Can you assist in figuring out the spoke length. please point me to web site that can assist.
C'mon, you need to apply yourself a little bit. There are several pages that allow you to calculate. I'll skip this one.

Can you assist in deciding which nipples,
For a first build I'd suggest brass, light oil.

I'm a noob so please be gentle.
I noticed that. I suggest you reading that first page before anything else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So... :)

I'm reading... I'm a slow reader.

Why twice build, simply budget. I'm busy with a bike build, got everything else, going to have the frame shortly, and well ran out of money, I have a "OLD" pair of rims, but it would be sacrilege to put these amazing hubs, onto those rims, onto this amazing frame, so best i can do now is the rims, the rims, Deed is a in-house accessory brand by Pyga. Price difference, try 7x more for the carbon (those carbon shown is a cheaper option, I would preferably also want to use Deed Carbon, aka 7x), so for now hubs go onto these rims, can't afford another pair of these hubs, so when I can afford the Carbon rims,

Happy to follow advice on not re-using the spokes, just assumed as I'm going to need a 10mm shorter spoke for the 2nd rebuild, it made sense to cut them and rethread them.

all my bikes, for the last 7 years have been 2 cross build with double butted, always been build by the same guy, yes i can and will go sit with him. but trusting this configuration for my riding, I do. never broken a spoke.

hmm, I would not exactly call Chris King consumer / generic hubs though.

And yes, I have applied myself, after posting that, see attached.

G

View attachment iso-hub-specifications-and-wheel-building-information.pdf Text White Line Font Parallel
Text White Line Font Parallel

·
Registered
505 Posts
all my bikes, for the last 7 years have been 2 cross build with double butted, always been build by the same guy, yes i can and will go sit with him. but trusting this configuration for my riding, I do. never broken a spoke.
Whatever suits you. Just make sure the warranty of your hub covers 2 cross. I had hubs that would only cover for 3 cross.

Even if it does, you may want to check if you're lucky enough to use 3 cross on your aluminum rims and 2 cross with the carbon rim using the same spoke length.

hmm, I would not exactly call Chris King consumer / generic hubs though.
Generic in the sense that there's nothing related to wheel building that is proprietary or rare. Of course they are great hubs.

And yes, I have applied myself, after posting that, see attached.
That wasn't so hard, was it? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... and a sarcastic comment, was it so hard to just response... with answers.
i asks and i research at the same time, looking at what i'm finding is matching up with current informations as per answers by people...

G

·
Registered
505 Posts
... and a sarcastic comment, was it so hard to just response... with answers.
i asks and i research at the same time, looking at what i'm finding is matching up with current informations as per answers by people...

G
I'd find the answer the same way you did, by googling it... I bet you took like 5 seconds to find the page you were looking for. I've used a number of tools for that, and have no preference of one over the other. They all seem to be equally precise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not exactly 5 seconds, actually read another thread on here, well about 40 pages of it, and found various references to tools and sources of info, eventually found that one that i liked.

note some times you can only recognise good and the bad if you have experience or reference answers from others, why i like to research myself but also ask questions to create a reference point/base line...

G

I'd find the answer the same way you did, by googling it... I bet you took like 5 seconds to find the page you were looking for. I've used a number of tools for that, and have no preference of one over the other. They all seem to be equally precise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.