Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm determined to build my first set of wheels but I have a couple of questions.
I'm planning on building a set of 700c/29'r wheels using XT hubs, and Salsa Delgado rims. I used the spocalc excel program using the following data: Rims 604ERD, front hub -> center to left and right flange the same at 35.8mm, flange diameter 38mm. Rear hub -> center to left 37.6mm, center to right 21.8mm, Flange diameter both 45mm. Using a 3x pattern I come up with 296mm for both sides of the front wheel, and 295.3 for the nondrive rear, 293 for the driveside.

#1) does this all sound about right?
#2) can I use 296mm for the nondrive rear instead of 295mm, so I just have to buy one size? What if I use 16mm nipples instead of 12mm?

Any other advice is VERY welcome! Thanks for the help!
:)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
TACSTS said:
Okay, I'm determined to build my first set of wheels but I have a couple of questions.
I'm planning on building a set of 700c/29'r wheels using XT hubs, and Salsa Delgado rims. I used the spocalc excel program using the following data: Rims 604ERD, front hub -> center to left and right flange the same at 35.8mm, flange diameter 38mm. Rear hub -> center to left 37.6mm, center to right 21.8mm, Flange diameter both 45mm. Using a 3x pattern I come up with 296mm for both sides of the front wheel, and 295.3 for the nondrive rear, 293 for the driveside.

#1) does this all sound about right?
#2) can I use 296mm for the nondrive rear instead of 295mm, so I just have to buy one size? What if I use 16mm nipples instead of 12mm?

Any other advice is VERY welcome! Thanks for the help!
:)
Your spoke lengths are correct assuming 32 spoke wheel build.

If you use 296mm spokes on the non-drive side of the rear wheel the spoke may stick through the nipple a very small amount into the slotted head on the nipple. The difference is so small though I wouldn't worry about it.

I believe there is no advantage of using 16 mm nipples over 12 mm nipples unless you need them to project farther out of a rim with a thicker spoke bed. I believe that the actual threaded length inside all nipple sizes is the same, just the wrench flats are out further. Maybe someone else can comment on this?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was wanting to hear. I can order in a box of 50 296mm spokes, so that will cover the front and the non-drive rear with 2 to spare. My thinking with the 16mm nipples vs. the 12mm was flawed after I thought about it more I guess. Thanks for the confirmation! :)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
The thread length in nipples can vary from brand to brand. Some are the same regardless of the overall length, some have more thread length on the longer nips. I can not remember which are which.

BTW you can order the exact number of spokes you want from http://www.wheelbuilder.com

I like to get at least one extra of each length and a few extra nipples.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts