Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went on sunday, had a good time :thumbsup: a couple of observations:

-would like to see more beginner jump lines/small bowls. the young whipper snappers where pulling tricks on the small jumps, so it was hard to session that line.
(more jumps will spread them out)

-on the xc loop more jumps and pump sections.

-really only need three skinny lines. beginner, intermediate and advanced

-the pump track is awesomesauce by the way.

will return...

gravity storm

https://www.joyride150.com/

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree with all your comments - went last week and even though am really an XC type of guy, I had a blast!! Only problem was that I couldn't get near the beginner jump line to try it out, since it was packed with kids pulling some pretty non-beginner moves... I'll obviously have to take a weekday off and check it when the kids are in school... :D

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, the place will evolve as more people ride it and give their feedback. hope joyride keeps on top of the feedback here and other places. i'm going to hit it up this week again with a couple of people.

·
Lemmy Rules!
1,772 Posts
RatchAttack said:
So how long is the XC loop and what kind of stuff is on it???? Sounds pretty interesting.
The XC loop is 0.6km long, but like Singlesprocket says, you can incorporate some of the other stuff into the loop. It goes up to the second level and back down again, so you can do at least a little bit of climbing. The climb up was steep enough that I had to stand on the pedals and attack on my misfit.

A couple of the technical obstacles may catch you out if you are not paying attention. Also, the fact that if you crash, you land on concrete or wood and not dirt adds a new dimension.

However, although I am a xc guy through and through, I had more fun on the jump lines and pump track on a borrowed bmx bike than I did on my own ride on the xc track.

All in all, A++ to scott and mark, and families, for putting together a great environment for biking. It looks like word is getting out and business is booming so far, which I am really happy to see.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
740 Posts
I spent about 7hrs at Joyride yesterday and had a great time. I brought my trailbike but decided to rent a bmx to see what it's like - holy crap. I felt like a clown and nearly went over the bars a couple of times on the pump track because I didn't scrunch down low enough...swapped the bmx for a DJ rental and it felt much better...and as expected wayyy faster on the pump track than my trailbike (even with both ends locked out). The XC loop was a bit of a disappointment with only one climb and a bunch of straights linked with sharp 90-degree turns that rob all momentum...the highlights for me were the pumptrack and jump lines. Hopefully they put it an advanced skinny section with more interesting features (swing bridges and more teeters maybe?). All in all the park was a lot of fun and they've done a great job, can't wait to see how it progresses!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Was there tues. night for a good 3 hours. Amazing how fast the pump track robs your energy and speed after 30secs of riding, without even pedaling! Really enjoyed the beginner jump line, the skinnies got old fast, then got painful when I tried to get creative with a bunnyhop transfer.

In the spirit of being an insufferable racer my fastest XC loop time was 2:42. Maybe I will try w/clipless/proper seat height next time.

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
To some extent, the tight turns on the XC loop are a question of maximising space, but there are definitely opportunities to make it flow better if you can handle the technical alternatives. There are some nice log-overs (some a little steep for my skill level) and a neat little rock-drop off the purple Joyride jump that let you skip some tight hairpins. I know they were thinking for a while about switching directions on the loop sometimes, which would probably up the technical difficulty but slow the speed further. I love the little deck at the top corner of the street park. You can see everything from there! The current empty space is planned for expert skinnies. I'm looking forward to that, if I can overcome my fear!

Best workouts: pump tracks and foam pit exits!

Should be a little less busy now that the holidays are over, too.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
I'm thinking of dropping by after work tomorrow night to check out the weeknight scene. It's way more fun than an hour on the rollers! :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
garage monster said:
I'm thinking of dropping by after work tomorrow night to check out the weeknight scene. It's way more fun than an hour on the rollers! :D
If you could post up a report on the weeknight traffic in there I'd appreciate it. Not sure how often I'll make it out there but I'm hoping weeknights aren't too crazy and therefore a good alternative to busy crowded weekends.

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
HubbaMan said:
If you could post up a report on the weeknight traffic in there I'd appreciate it. Not sure how often I'll make it out there but I'm hoping weeknights aren't too crazy and therefore a good alternative to busy crowded weekends.
The Jackal's in the car and ready to roll. I'll probably be there by about 5:30 if anyone wants to say hi. I'll let you all know how it goes. I expect it'll be way quieter than over the holidays (I counted like 10 people on the big pump track at the same time at one point! :eek: ) but hopefully still hummin'! :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Busy!

I was there last Tuesday and also over the weekend. It was fairly busy both days as indicated by others but I noticed it really quieted down after about 8-8:30. It was a good time to try a few things out - a little less humiliation but the physical pain is still the same when you mess up!:eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.