Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my first outing with my new GoPro 8, I figured I might as well use the highest settings to get the best quality on YouTube. 4K, 60fps. Done. Except after uploading, it looks incredibly compressed and pixelated. It's amazing while the camera is still... but that's not often in mountain biking.

The quality drop is noticeable right at the very start:
https://youtu.be/9Dn_LmyYS8k

I've seen plenty of crisp, beautiful videos on YouTube, so clearly it' snot just YouTube's compression and something in my settings. Any help appreciated.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,254 Posts
In your video editor, did you export at 4K?

You-tube is only showing it available at up to 1080. This makes you-tube use the lesser codec to stream it (AVC1). If you-tube sees it as a 4K video, it will stream it with the superior VP09 codec.

The VP09 makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Most of the vids I see on Youtube still have some pixelation, especially in less bright light. I upload to Vimeo and they come out so much sharper than the ones I uploaded to YT, no matter how I uploaded them.
https://vimeo.com/448360190

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the reply.

Yeah, looks like this one is my bad. I chose a preset in Premiere Pro called (High Quality 4K.) Then I checked the bitrate etc, but somehow didn't actually compare the resolution to the original video. The resolution for that preset is 2720x1530, which is... not 4K. Original video was 3840x2160. I don't know if my preset somehow got changed, or what. I'll just use "same as source" in the future.

I guess I'll live with what's there for my first video and look to improve on the next ones.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the HD 1080P version takes longer to encode than the SD version and becomes available later. Does the 4K also appear after the 1080P version is live?

I went through and re-exported my video in premiere in full 4K resolution and uploaded using YouTube's recommended settings as best as I could match them. SD didn't take long, HD is now available too after a few hours, but not 4K. Should I expect 4K to come online eventually or is YouTube done processing this now that 1080P is available and I still have a problem?

Here is the newly exported and uploaded video, which looks just as bad as the first at the moment. Pretty much identical. You can see the opening scene has extreme artifacts going on. The exported video looks great when viewing on the computer, just not after uploading.

https://youtu.be/lmj2qApHw9g

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I know the HD 1080P version takes longer to encode than the SD version and becomes available later. Does the 4K also appear after the 1080P version is live?

I went through and re-exported my video in premiere in full 4K resolution and uploaded using YouTube's recommended settings as best as I could match them. SD didn't take long, HD is now available too after a few hours, but not 4K. Should I expect 4K to come online eventually or is YouTube done processing this now that 1080P is available and I still have a problem?

Here is the newly exported and uploaded video, which looks just as bad as the first at the moment. Pretty much identical. You can see the opening scene has extreme artifacts going on. The exported video looks great when viewing on the computer, just not after uploading.

https://youtu.be/lmj2qApHw9g
The 4K version should appear later. I usually upload in the evening and the 4K video is done by morning. Looks like yours is still 1080 60 fps. I don't believe it takes over 10 hours (based on your MTBR post time) to convert to 4K.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on YouTube's ongoing enciding process

Updating here...

The original video that I uploaded about 36 hours ago now plays with the VP09 codec at all sizes and looks much better. It also now has a 1440p play option that wasn't there previously.

So it does appear that even after the "HD" resolution becomes available (which was the AVC1 codec), YouTube is still hard at work converting for higher sizes.

The full 4K that I re-exported and uploaded about 12 hours ago is currently only available in 1080p, and shows the AVC1 codec. I expect that one to convert to the VP09 at some point as well.

The original now looks good enough that I don't think I need to republish with the 4K version later, but some good lessons learned here for my next video.

I also learned that you can right-click the videos on YouTube and select the option "Stats for nerds" where you can see the existing codec.

Someone on another forum mentioned that if it says "AVC1" you are stuck, and it will only be converted to a max of 1080p. That does not appear to be accurate. It seems that if you wait long enough (36 hour-ish for this 11 minute video) then it will eventually be available both at higher resolutions and in VP09.

So it looks like I need to get my videos edited, exported, and uploaded at least a day ahead of release, maybe 2 depending on size, if I want them available with the right codec on release. My next video will be shorter so I'll try to keep track of the conversion times.

I also wonder if the fact that this is my very first video on the YouTube account makes it a lower priority for encoding, since it sounds like yours happen sooner. Of course, there could be other factors as well, such as your video length, or YouTube's overall encoding load at the time, particular servers... who knows. I'll try to see how these things vary over time. Just glad my video has ended up looking nicer now. The codec DID make all the difference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Updating again.

The 4K option and improved VP09 codec just appeared for my second upload. This was somewhere around 22 hours after uploading. The video is 11 minutes, 50 seconds.

For my next video I'll try to upload a full day ahead of release. Hopefully the encoding times improve but I don't really want to release anything with the lower codec at this point. I'm less concerned about the actual resolution than the codec. The 1080P looked pretty awful before that kicked in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Second video is online... I uploaded at 9pm and as of 6am the 4K version was already encoded and available. This video was shorter (under 8 minutes) and recorded at 30fps instead of 60. Both of these would contribute to a faster encoding time. I'm not sure if the fact that the previous one was my first video on YouTube contributed to the slow conversion. But I'm glad to know I won't have to upload over a day ahead of release.

Second video:
https://youtu.be/HKCuvcvlLcU

I still have a lot to learn and any tips are appreciated. My biggest fail in this one was when putting the chest mount on my son, it was angled down too far. Maybe a loose fit, but more likely the fact that his bike sits higher so his chest is naturally more angled towards the ground. That will take some fidgeting to get right.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Youtube - "who is matt johnson"

He's got videos explaining what the export settings should be for YouTube.
Basically you need to bump up the bitrate so that when YouTube knocks it down, it's still acceptable.

You will end up making custom presets for your different resolutions.

I haven't watched your video -but generally speaking, 60 fps mountain bike footage isn't the best choice. The smooth motion looks too artificial (in my opinion). If you prefer that look, that's fine. There aren't rules saying what frame rate has to be used.

If you plan to do hand held shots of not riding stuff, and/or slowing down, yes please keep the frame rate high at 60, and do your riding at 30 so they can be shared on a timeline with less frame drops.

Too many mtb vloggers are getting used to 24/30 fps and editing clips to slow motion and it looks too jittery.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,254 Posts
Too many mtb vloggers are getting used to 24/30 fps and editing clips to slow motion and it looks too jittery.
I don't mess with slo-mo too much, but I did in the last scene of this kwik little video. Is it okay? Just curious...

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first time having my GoPro mounted on my chest during my short bike ride. I have it in these settings:
4k 30fps superview and stabilization on. Although wind noise is on, I am not sure if I did something wrong but could you guys please check why my voice is not that clear? I am not using external mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekXTSYadSJo

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,254 Posts
Turn wind noise off, set mic to stereo, and get one of those foam "wind-slayers" from Amazon. They work surprisingly well to cut out wind noise.

Your voice should be much clearer with wind noise "off" and mic "stereo".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts