Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few pics of my El Ciclon and first Ventana ride, beautifully put together by Chad at Red Barn Bicycles with new and recycled bits. It came earlier than expected and was not the El Bastardo I was considering, but I could not resist a great second-hand deal (Thanks Corey…). I have a 650b front wheel (Velocity Blunt rim/ Chris King hub/DT Swiss Competition spokes and nipples) coming soon to make it a “half Bastardo"...

Frame: 2008 El Ciclon with 5.5” rocker and quad bearings upgrade
Color: Candy Red
Shock: Fox RP23 PUSHed
Fork: 2009 Fox Float 140 RLC 15QR
Wheelset: Hope Pro II Gunsmoke hubs/Syncros DP25 rims/DT Swiss Competition 14/15 Black spokes, Red Alloy Nipples
Skewers: Hope QR stainless steel Red
Seatpost Clamp: Hope QR Silver
Front Der: SRAM X.9
Rear Der: SRAM X.9
Shifters: SRAM Red X.O Trigger shifters
Cassette: SRAM PG-990 Red
Brakes: Magura Louise, 180 mm rotors
Cranks/BB: Shimano XT/Chris King bottom bracket (Pewter)
Pedals: Shimano M540
Headset: Chris King NoThread Pewter
Handlebar: Syncros Bulk CF
Seat Post: Thomson Elite 410mm Black
Stem: Thomson X4 Black
Saddle: WTB Rocket V SLT black
Grips: ODI Lock-on Rogue
Front Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 Front
Rear Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4 Rear

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How do you like the Magura Louise brakes?[/QUOTE]

I like these brakes very much. Very strong braking power yet a lot of modulation, and they are silent (except when wet)! I have used them for 2+ seasons and they have been very reliable, beside minor maintenance issues. Very good quality for the $$$...

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Nice build!
OldHouseMan said:
How do you like the Magura Louise brakes?
+1 on the Maguras...I have had mine for almost 4 years and they have served me well. CS was available when I needed it (one stripped bolt on a caliper, one bad master cylinder), they are easy to work on when you do have to do it...but really they just plain WORK. Strong, silent, modulationaful...wonderful product.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm a Magura fanboy going back to the HS33 rim brakes. I've got an older pair of the Louise Free Rides on my SS and like them a lot. Was wondering how the new Louise stacked up to the old FR's?

Also have the Martas on my X5, with not complaints.

And to keep it on topic...I like the red Odi clamps.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
great photos of the new bike Jean and tell your wife that i'm sorry for letting you try out the ventana demo bikes.

and enjoy the new front wheel.....post pictures/comments of the differences asap.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nwmtb said:
great photos of the new bike Jean and tell your wife that i'm sorry for letting you try out the ventana demo bikes.

and enjoy the new front wheel.....post pictures/comments of the differences asap.
She still likes you and prefers red bikes....;) The new wheel is on and fitting perfectly, despite the change in hub and size. I just had to adjust the caliper. It looks awesome and the first impression on the saddle is that you can feel a difference in how the front handles (in a good way), even if by eye, the size difference is not dramatic... More comments to come and I'll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Great color, and Chaybo does good work. Then again, building bikes for Fo is practice in color coordination and patience that most dealers do not get.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all for your comments! I'll post some new pics with the 650b front wheel soon. I haven't had a chance to ride it much before all the trails got covered with snow/ice around here. The first impressions were fabulous, can't wait to ride it again....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts