Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first FS frame after only riding a hardtail to this point. Details below:

1) Budget - about $800
2) Bikes considering - Santa Cruz Heckler, Titus Motolite, Yeti 575
3) Type of riding - I do almost exclusively trail riding. Lots of rock beds; avg trail climbing -- not really any major DH for this bike.
4) 5'11", 170 lbs, 35 yrs old
5) Most likely looking to buy used on eBay to try and get best bang for the buck.
6) Other options - I am open to them.

For my first FS it just seems like going used would be the best bang for the buck. I would also like a recommendation for a fork to go with whatever suggestion is given. Since it will most likely be a used frame, any info on years to target/stay away from, as I know sometimes major changes occur, would be helpful as that info can be hard to drum up.

Thx!

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
ElbowScabs said:
I am looking to buy my first FS frame after only riding a hardtail to this point. Details below:

1) Budget - about $800
3) Type of riding - I do almost exclusively trail riding. Lots of rock beds; avg trail climbing -- not really any major DH for this bike.
5) Most likely looking to buy used on eBay to try and get best bang for the buck.

For my first FS it just seems like going used would be the best bang for the buck. I would also like a recommendation for a fork to go with whatever suggestion is given. Since it will most likely be a used frame, any info on years to target/stay away from, as I know sometimes major changes occur, would be helpful as that info can be hard to drum up.

Thx!
I'd be surprised if you'll be able to find a used Titus or Yeti in the $800 range unless its been ridden hard and put away wet. A Heckler would be a more plausible option at that price range.

However, you may want to look for similar frame designs from more big production manufacturers. Specialized Stumpjumper FSR comes immediately to mind. Look for ones using the Fox rear shocks, not the Specialized ones. Also, on the front fork, Fox was very common on these, so I'd again look that way.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
ElbowScabs said:

1) Budget - about $800

Thx!
If you want more detailed responses repost this in each of the Manufacturers forums, people there will give you detailed responses on setup and pricing.

You will need to be a bit more focused on your choices or you will get generalities. The Heckler and 575 are in their 2nd generation and I am not sure about the motolite, 3rd?

These bikes are swiss army knives and can use almost any 120 - 160mm fork out there but for you I'd say a 140mm max because you are coming off a hardtail you might not like too slack a headangle.

Since you are coming off a hardtail make sure whatever frame you choose has a platform shock in the rear so it will have a firm pedalling platform or you will hate it... at first.

For frame only you probably could find any of these frames for $800, just be patient.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Half the guys I ride with have Specialized Stumpjumper FSRs, so I know that would be a good bike. I just don't want to have the same bike as everyone else. Great bike though.

That's a good idea posting in the specific forums. I think I will do that when I for sure narrow it down to two bikes.

I have seen all of those frames on eBay, over the past month or two, in that price range, which is sort of how I came at that price point. Patience is the key, no doubt.

Thanks for the advice on the 140 mm front fork and platform shock. That is real helpful.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
ElbowScabs said:

1) Budget - about $800

Thx!
If I needed a new frame tomorrow, I would be ordering this new frame:

http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Frame-All-Mountain

I think with sales going on there you can score it for under $700. Honestly, I could afford to spend about $1500 if I really wanted something else, but I would not bother spending any more than this with this deal available. The DW-Link is awesome, and after these are gone (IH looses the DW-Link license this year) any new DW-Link frame is going to cost about three times as much.

$800 is a great price for what this is. I've been on an `07 MKIII for a year now and I like it more than the Heckler of Azonic Saber (FSR design) I owned for several years each.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kapusta said:
If I needed a new frame tomorrow, I would be ordering this new frame:

http://www.rscycle.com/2008-Iron-Horse-MKIII-Frame-All-Mountain

I think with sales going on there you can score it for under $700. Honestly, I could afford to spend about $1500 if I really wanted something else, but I would not bother spending any more than this with this deal available. The DW-Link is awesome, and after these are gone (IH looses the DW-Link license this year) any new DW-Link frame is going to cost about three times as much.

$800 is a great price for what this is. I've been on an `07 MKIII for a year now and I like it more than the Heckler of Azonic Saber (FSR design) I owned for several years each.
kapusta:

Thanks so much for the advice! Since you posted this I have been researching, as I wasn't familiar with the MKIII. Very impressed with what I read and you just can't beat that deal. With that deal ending, I went ahead and ordered the frame this morning. Merry Christmas to me! In case others are reading this and want to order before Christmas, the HOT15 coupon code wasn't working at checkout, so you have to call them to use it.

Will be a while before I actually get to ride it, as I am building it up, but I can wait.

Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.