Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got myself a great deal on an '09 Marin Quake 7.8 from Pedal Shop a couple weeks ago, and now I'm finally going to get over to Diablo for the first time this Sunday. I don't have a whole lot of MTB experience, but I've been riding dirtbikes for the past few years and Supermoto for just over a year, so I'm pretty comfortable on two wheels. I'm just wondering if any of you guys might have any tips for me, stuff I might want to watch out for, trail etiquette, things I might not think of having never been before, ect. Any little bit would be appreciated.:thumbsup:

Thanks

·
Registered
994 Posts
generally the park is made so all ability levels can go out and have fun on it. they may have some big jumps but most of the time there are ways around them if you are not comfortable. only advice i have is when you wreck, or stop to check out a feature, dont stand in the middle of the trail or leave your bike in the trail! prepare to be blown away and have more fun on two wheels than you ever have before!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, that. People like to hang out at the bottom of drops and you get the occasional jackass that hangs out right at the bottom of the landing so keep that in mind. I've never rode motorcross but I've been told by those who have done both that it takes some getting used to, not having the power in the rear wheel when coming around corners. I'm assuming you've already got the protective gear. Also, when I come up on someone I'll yell out "rider up" or "on your left/right" when we're at a spot that I can pass or they can pull off. If you see someone pulled off dicking around with their bike, offer them help or ask if they're alright. You'll see that you'll get the same from others if you're doing a quick fix on the trail.

·
Professional Troll
2,716 Posts
If you're competent on a moto, DH riding will be easy. Ride your dh bike like a moto and you'll be better than half or more of all serious DHers. Just you common sense like the posters above said and you'll be fine. Have fun.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
1) No matter how good you are (or think you are), chill and make the first couple runs on an easy trail to warm up.
2) don't blindly ride off things you haven't seen
3) If you hear someone come up behind you let them past, earns you lots of kudos, and you might have someone to tail to get faster lines.
4) DO NOT stop on trail, if you crash or stop for what ever reason, get you and your bike off trail ASAP (esp if its busy). If you want to stop for what ever reason, pick a good open spot to do it, just like on the road, you don't stop on a blind corner for example.
5) Be polite and warn people when passing.
6) Prepare to have probably the most fun you can on a bicycle!
7) If going on your own, see if you can find some dudes of a little better ability and see if you can tag along with them, great way to meet people, watch how stuff is done, and have someone around to help if you destroy yourself :p

Welcome to the dark side! :D

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,331 Posts
Definitely, pulling off will give you kudos for sure if someone is on your tail. Was at Keystone and WP last week and everybody was chill.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Did my first trip to a lift park last week:
Do bring extra wheels/tires/pump/tools. I needed them on my trip
I'd bring food so you can easily eat something whenever you feel like it. I brought food and it was nice to have handy. Gatorade, etc was good to have as well
Get there early - it takes a bit of time to get everything ready
Make sure your brake pads are newish... you'll use those a lot more than trail riding.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, all good to know.

I never did motocross, just screwing around in the woods on trails and stuff, but I had to sell my woods bike a bit over a year ago(only have a supermoto and 110 minimoto currently) so I might be rusty the first couple runs. This is actually my current lineup:

I'll be going with a couple friends, one who rides some XC type stuff, and the other who rides a sportbike and used to screw around on a BMX. I wouldn't mind tagging along with some better riders and learning a thing or two though.

I don't have a kit with spares put together yet, but I'll be sure to bring tools. There's a bike shop there though, right?

Tekk220, sending PM... now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Unless you pay for the "premium" parking you will park in a lot across the road from the mountain. Walk downhill into the village and the shop where you buy tickets/gear/snacks/parts and can get repairs will be on your left. Once you get your ticket continue down the village 10 seconds and you will see a bridge that goes over the road, to the lift which is just past some of their bubble shaped buildings.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kipdrunner said:
Unless you pay for the "premium" parking you will park in a lot across the road from the mountain. Walk downhill into the village and the shop where you buy tickets/gear/snacks/parts and can get repairs will be on your left. Once you get your ticket continue down the village 10 seconds and you will see a bridge that goes over the road, to the lift which is just past some of their bubble shaped buildings.
Thanks, I've been there to watch a couple races, the US open DH race being one of them, but I didn't really explore the village. Is that where my friends'll be picking up their rentals?

Oh, do I have to worry about my cables and brake lines getting pinched against the edge of the lift? I saw one guy who had a piece of tyre chopped up and ziptied to that part of his frame.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tips. Hmmm:

1: Don't be the idiot that makes them have to stop the lift. Have your **** clear and together before you get to the station. Using a lift is not complicated in any way but, somehow, some idiot always manages to screw it up.

2: Don't chill in the middle of the trail. When you stop get WAY the fvck out of the way.

3: The faster you go in the tech the smoother it is. It all comes down to commitment level. Line up and pin it. You'll skip right over the sketchy stuff.

4. Run your rebound quicker than normal and stay on your toes.

5. Prepare to break a few parts.

6. If you learn nothing else technique wise learn to pump the terrain. Stay light over rough stuff and send the bike into the backside of everything that even resembles a tranny. The back of a tiny little rock can be good for a LOT of speed if you manage to get the bike into it cleanly. NEVER miss a purpose built roller. They are more useful like that than as jumps. Master this and rocks can actually be flowy and you'll find tons of speed with minimal effort.

7: If you manage to learn two new techniques get your braking dialed. Use your front brake to control your speed and your back brake to steer. Assuming you have traction the back will straighten up in a hurry if you use the back brake. If you don't have traction your back brake can move the bike around a lot. Your better off using your hips for sliding though. Use your front brake right before a turn, line up with it, carry speed w/out brake, aiming from high gradually toward the inside. Then if you have a control issue in the end of the turn use your back brake to bring things back in check. If you use either brake when you're starting to stall in steep rocks it means you're going over the bars. You're better off just ditching the bike and trying to land on your feet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mr. Blonde said:
Tips. Hmmm:

1: Don't be the idiot that makes them have to stop the lift. Have your **** clear and together before you get to the station. Using a lift is not complicated in any way but, somehow, some idiot always manages to screw it up.

2: Don't chill in the middle of the trail. When you stop get WAY the fvck out of the way.

3: The faster you go in the tech the smoother it is. It all comes down to commitment level. Line up and pin it. You'll skip right over the sketchy stuff.

4. Run your rebound quicker than normal and stay on your toes.

5. Prepare to break a few parts.

6. If you learn nothing else technique wise learn to pump the terrain. Stay light over rough stuff and send the bike into the backside of everything that even resembles a tranny. The back of a tiny little rock can be good for a LOT of speed if you manage to get the bike into it cleanly. NEVER miss a purpose built roller. They are more useful like that than as jumps. Master this and rocks can actually be flowy and you'll find tons of speed with minimal effort.

7: If you manage to learn two new techniques get your braking dialed. Use your front brake to control your speed and your back brake to steer. Assuming you have traction the back will straighten up in a hurry if you use the back brake. If you don't have traction your back brake can move the bike around a lot. Your better off using your hips for sliding though. Use your front brake right before a turn, line up with it, carry speed w/out brake, aiming from high gradually toward the inside. Then if you have a control issue in the end of the turn use your back brake to bring things back in check. If you use either brake when you're starting to stall in steep rocks it means you're going over the bars. You're better off just ditching the bike and trying to land on your feet.
Thanks man, all good advise.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Swell Guy said:
Number one rule for park riding - pace yourself. There's always another run.
If you live 14 hours from the nearest lift service park the number one rule is: ride nonstop till your body fails you. My nickname is "one more run." That, inevitably, means 3 or 4 more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately I have to postpone my visit, one of my friends backed out(apparently he'd rather go jetskiing), and there's a 50% chance of rain. On the up side, I don't have to be at work 'till 4pm this week, so I'll only have to postpone a few days.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts