Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am wanting to get into wrenchin' on my bike. I want to buy a decent set of mountain bike tools that will last me through college, at least.

I found a set at nashbar that seems promising, just didn't know if there were any "forum favorite" sets that are economical.

I understand that there are better tools out there (park, etc.) I'm simply looking for a set that when I set out to do a routine maintenance step, I won't be in the SOL wagon because I don't have the particular tool.

Thanks!

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=99&subcategory=1232&brand=&sku=12250&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat:%20Kits

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Looks pretty good to me. The only tool that can have different variations are crank pullers and bottom bracket tools. So probably be important to know the types you want to work on. But sounds like a great tool set for some one just getting into wrenching. That toolset will pay for itself because now you don't need to spend cash at the shop for service.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
That would be a good....

begginer's tool set. The only other tool that I would HIGHLY recommend that you get AND USE is a torque wrench! It doesn't have to be and expensive preset (click) type, a simple beam type wrench is fine. But it is an invaluable tool for both the proffessional bike mechanic and the DIY mechanic. There are many out there that THINK they have the experience (and micrometer finger tips) to fasten any nut or bolt on a bike within spec. NOT!!! The biggest thing that a torque wrench will do for you is KEEP YOU SAFE. You will be able to set the important fasteners on your bike to manufacturers recommended minimum torque. This is the MINIMUM that these fasteners need to be at to keep them from coming loose!!! And it will keep you from exceeding the maximum torque that the fasteners are designed to handle. This of course will keep you from stripping bolts, threaded holes in the frame, etc.

I would recommend 2 wrenches, one with a range of 0-100 or 200 lb/in for light fasteners like brake bolts, brake lever and shifter bolts, etc., and one with a 0-600 lb/in range for stuff like bottom brackets, crank arm bolts, etc. It might sound silly, and many think it is, untill they have to drop $35 to $50 for a new shifter because they stripped the threads out of the clamp, or they have to replace the bottom bracket and crank set because they didn't have the crank arms torqued down tight enough and they came loose and destroyed the interface between the two.

Anyway, enough of my ranting! The kit you are looking at would be good for the begginer wrench. It has everything that you need to get started (except the above). From there you can easily add tools one at a time as you advance and need them. Just remember, IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT TOOL, STOP!! Go buy or borrow the right tool!! I work in a shop and a good 50% of our business comes from people that don't use the right tool for the job at hand. The other 50% is from people that don't have the tools and are smart enough to know it! :D

So go for it! Working on your own bike is fun, and saves you money. Just take it slow and yell for help if you get in over your head. :thumbsup:

Good Dirt

·
Banned
462 Posts
I use spin doctor tools from Performance (which also owns Nashbar) so the quality should be the same. Not the most durable set of tools on the market like Park tools but they do the job.

For a starter set I recomend the following essentials:
Chain Tool
Freewheel tool
Chain Whip
Cable Cutter
Allen Wrench Set
Rubber Mallet
Adjustable Wrench
Screw Driver/Phillips
Bottom Bracket Tool and Crank Arm Extractor (depends on your cranks)

And for wheels:
Truing Stand
Spoke Wrench
Tire lever

Other Essentials:
Grease/Lube
Chain Lube (non-dirt attracting- or wax based)
Simple Green Degreaser
Cleaning brushes
Several Cloth Towels
Paper Towel Roll

Looks like the set you're looking to get fits the bill. Good luck any happy bike fixing.
I have as much fun fixing my bike as riding it. :)

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,168 Posts
I can second the Spin Doctor comments. Covers the basics for most home work. I've replaced a couple tools with other brands but on the whole its been a good home set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.