Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just a bit of background I grew up racing BMX as a kid from age 3 til 13 then moved onto MX until getting hurt when I was 27 (held my Pro MX License for a couple years)....I have spent some serious time on 2-wheels but have never been DH mtb. I just booked plan tickets for summer vacation with the wife and baby boy to spend a week around Grand Lake...they will do the hiking / exploring type of thing while I go riding for several days. The reason for me posting this is do any of you have any advice for me...riding, getting around Trestle BP, rentals, deals/coupons on lift tickets/rentals, etc. etc. Any help or suggestions would be VERY much appreciated. Thanks! Blake (for whatever reason, my web browser doesn't let me press "enter" which is why this is one big long paragraph haha)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm also an MX transplant. I rode dirt bikes for a long time but only raced for a couple seasons. B class dude at best for me. Broke a few bones and was over it.

I absolutely love DH and would pick lift access DH any day over MX. If you're anything like me you'll love it too and you should pick it up quickly.

Anyway about trestle.. It's awesome. I would recommend getting the "world cup" rental package. It will allow you to ride a top of the line bike and you can swap it out for other high end bikes throughout the day. I think up to three times. Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Dunno exactly where your coming from, but don't ignore altitude if your home is below 1K ft of elevation.

On the rental, contact Pedal Pusher in Golden, CO around late June/early July and see if they're still doing their demo partnership w/ Trestle. You can get a better deal thru Pedal Pusher. I don't recall the details (I have my own bike), but I DO remember you came out better when you want to ride top end rentals.

Don't have any more suggestion for you, other than don't bust your nut on the first day, and quit well before you start feeling the fatigue. My typical early season runs up there will be 1/2 day/4 runs at most, w/ longish breaks between runs and sucking on something like Endurox.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
First off, I've got to say that you're going to have a blast at WP. The amount of growth to the trails over the past 4 or 5 years is amazing. They manage the trails pretty well, and take pride in what they build. WP is a fast, flowable, and jump filled mountain. Big berms, a few good drops, and long trails. The majority of WP's blacks aren't too difficult, but you can still get into big trouble fast due to the speed that you can cary on the majority of the trials. If you're a friend of HH (Happy Hour) after your rides, make sure and get into the town of WP and hit up Deno's. Best HH and food around!! Or, you can stay in the village and hit up the places there, Lime, Pizza Peddler, Cheeky Monk, Doc's, etc. Enjoy!!

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
yup, like others have said, WP is a great mountain for those learning. I would suggest that while riding a DH bike, stay away from the green trails, you have to pedal a lot and on a Dh bike it isn't much fun. (even my kids hit the blue trails on their first day at 7 and 10)

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,453 Posts
Trestle - was there the first time last year. What a blast. Some of the most fun on a bike I had in years. Spent two long days there and rode almost every thing on my heavy duty trail bike. I think a DH bike would be overkill.

Trying to get back this summer.

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Trestle - was there the first time last year. What a blast. Some of the most fun on a bike I had in years. Spent two long days there and rode almost every thing on my heavy duty trail bike. I think a DH bike would be overkill.

Trying to get back this summer.
Don't disagree with you, but.. he is new to the sport, thinking the DH bike would be a good choice

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't disagree with you, but.. he is new to the sport, thinking the DH bike would be a good choice
As well as much more fun. I'd ride my DH bike everywhere if I could. But unfortunately I'm not strong enough. Bummer. It would be awesome if I was able blaze my daily commute on my DH bike like I do on my single speed track bike.

Also, if you can get someone with a season pass to go with you when you get your lift tickets/rental you'll get a discount. Its a pretty good one too I think.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies and info guys, I really appreciate it!

Would any of you suggest a day trip to Keystone? We are staying near Grand Lake so I know it would be a bit of a drive but would it be worth it?

I will look into Pedal Pusher for rental, I definitely want to get the best rental bike I can get.

Thanks again!
Blake

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Definitely hit Keystone for a day..

and like the other guy said, find someone with a pass as you can get a big discount. Just ask a few people in the parking lot, tell them you will buy them a beer or a sixer. I didn't know about the deal, but someone asked me in the parking lot and I was more than happy to help and I believe it ended up being 1/2 price for rental/lift ticket package.

Also, Wednesday and Friday they have twilight sessions (4-7 pm) and its cheap for a few hours of riding..

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So this deal will work with rental as well? I don't mind askin around in the parking lot but what does the person have to do....I don't want to take up a guys morning him having follow me around until I'm set-up with rental and ticket. Is it as simple as going up to the ticket window with a pass holder and good to go....how about rental?

Definitely hit Keystone for a day..

and like the other guy said, find someone with a pass as you can get a big discount. Just ask a few people in the parking lot, tell them you will buy them a beer or a sixer. I didn't know about the deal, but someone asked me in the parking lot and I was more than happy to help and I believe it ended up being 1/2 price for rental/lift ticket package.

Also, Wednesday and Friday they have twilight sessions (4-7 pm) and its cheap for a few hours of riding..

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
So this deal will work with rental as well? I don't mind askin around in the parking lot but what does the person have to do....I don't want to take up a guys morning him having follow me around until I'm set-up with rental and ticket. Is it as simple as going up to the ticket window with a pass holder and good to go....how about rental?
Yes it works for the rental too.. honestly its about five minutes of someones time, like I said buy them a beer or something, but I think most of us would be willing to help out..

·
Registered
570 Posts
Keystone = Less maintained, to me...a downhillers resort. If you wanna try steep and chunky, go here. They have some fun mellower blue runs also.

WP = More maintained, to me...more beginner friendly resort, however some huge stuff there. It suits the DJ/SS, XC, AM crowd quite well. If you wanna try flowy, fast trails (with the option to hit some bigger/gnarlier stuff), stay at WP and just ride it all.

That said, WP has some very challenging riding, and Keystone has some fun, fast trails.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I enjoy keystone. Less people on the trails. But I have and will continue to buy my season pass to trestle. They just put way more effort into the bike park. Both maintaining existing trails and building new ones. But yes keystone is definitely worth a day for sure. If you go to keystone during the week it will feel like you're the only one on the mountain. I'd say if you're new to the sport you'll definitely enjoy trestle much more. I'd be willing to meet up and hook you up with a discount when the time comes. And yeah it works with the rental as well. Not sure how many days you can get a discount on though. I think there might be a limit.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and info guys, I really appreciate it!

Would any of you suggest a day trip to Keystone? We are staying near Grand Lake so I know it would be a bit of a drive but would it be worth it?

I will look into Pedal Pusher for rental, I definitely want to get the best rental bike I can get.

Thanks again!
Blake
Oh hey, don't forget Sol Vista. It's a much smaller mountain, but their blacks are true blacks that you'll have to nut-up for. If you're up by Grand Lake, it shouldn't be too much of a huck to go there for a day too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts