Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you dialed wheel builder types help me out?

I'm building a lightweight xc wheel set for my daughter and, it being my first time building wheels, wanted to double check a few things. I put the spoke calculator values from the DT Swiss site below.

Rim is a carbon 27.5 asymmetrical, 275 gram, 28mm x 22mm internal x 25mm tall, with a 2.6mm offset and 555.6 erd. Spokes will be 1420's, not aerolite's as listed below.

Do I need to adjust spoke length for the asymmetric offset? Are the 14mm nipples appropriate for the build?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know I am not providing answers to your question. Why do you want to do it your self? I have build a half dozen wheel sets for myself over the years. But found it only worth it to do myself when I was able to get the parts at wholesale. I would also not choose to do a high end build as my first build.

·
Registered
318 Posts
First off - have you measured the rim ERD yourself or are you using the listed ERD?
I would also use regular 12mm nipples (brass without prolock on all my personal builds)
The Roger Musson spoke calc let you type in the offset of an asym rim so you get the right length.
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

But are you sure that you as a first timer should build a straight pull 24/28 spoke wheelset?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input!

When I input the 12mm nipple it changes the suggested spoke length about 1mm. Would you follow that suggestion or leave the spoke lengths as listed and do the 12mm nipple?

As to why I’m building the wheel...why not?! I enjoy learning new things and am trying to keep the cost down today, and in the future if she keeps racing and I have to fix spokes. I also like having my kids around to help/watch so they learn basic mechanical skills.

Thanks for the calc! I haven’t seen that one

·
Registered
162 Posts
I recently built up my first wheelset using the DT calculator and found their spoke suggestion to be 1mm too long. Saying that, i didn't use DT components other than the hubs so that could have been the cause (used Pillar 2/1.8/2 spokes so assumed they'd be the same as DT competition).

I'm not sure how the DT calculator takes into account offset; you could select a DT rim that's asymmetrical to back calculate or offset your hub flange distances by the rim offset - add the offset to the smallest flange distance and subtract it from the larger flange distance.

...Or use the other calculators.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This does not answer your question but may prove helpful.
Buy Roger Mussons E-Book and read it before building. He has a money back guarantee.
https://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

Measure the rim ERD yourself, do not take measurements from mfr or someone else. Once you have the ERD use a calculator that accounts for asymmetric spoke drilling.

If this is your first build I strongly suggest that you use bladed spokes with those straight pull hubs. Get a spoke holder and use it to prevent wind up when tensioning them. I would also strongly suggest that you have someone check the tension after you are done before you let your daughter ride them. If you have access to a tensiometer and know how to use it then you can check it yourself.

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
I've read the horror stories, but over 30 builds have always taken the published ERD and been successful. I also use DSN or Squorx which allow for longer spokes so this may be a mitigating factor.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Would you dialed wheel builder types help me out?

I'm building a lightweight xc wheel set for my daughter and, it being my first time building wheels, wanted to double check a few things. I put the spoke calculator values from the DT Swiss site below.

Rim is a carbon 27.5 asymmetrical, 275 gram, 28mm x 22mm internal x 25mm tall, with a 2.6mm offset and 555.6 erd. Spokes will be 1420's, not aerolite's as listed below.

Do I need to adjust spoke length for the asymmetric offset? Are the 14mm nipples appropriate for the build?

Thanks in advance!

I've been using this spoke calc lately without trouble:

Freespoke: the spoke calculator

·
Registered
352 Posts
There are several ways to calculate spoke length for asymmetric wheels:

Rule of thumb:

Back wheel:
Drive side: Calculated spoke length + 1 mm
Non-drive side: Calculated spoke length - 1 mm

Front wheel:
Disc side (non-drive side): Calculated spoke length + 1 mm
Non-Disc-Side (drive side): Calculated spoke length - 1 mm

Exact calculation:

The figures for the calculation must be altered under "Flange distance left/right" as follows:

Back wheel:
Drive side: Distance from hub center to flange + lateral rim offset
Non-drive side: Distance from hub center to flange - lateral rim offset

Front wheel:
Disc side (none-drive side): Distance from hub center to flange + lateral rim offset
Non-disc side (drive side): Distance from hub center to flange - lateral rim offset
The lateral rim offset is the distance between the rim center and the spoke holes.

If you need further help, contact me via PM and I can build you a set of wheels.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When building offset rims, you can adjust the hub flange distance left & right to compensate.

Subtract the offset from whichever flange distance number is highest, and add it to the smaller number

In your case your flange distance left / right becomes:

Front:
25.3 32.4

Rear:
31.2 22.7

Also, I don't like the rounding the DT calculator does. I always seem to end up with spokes that are slightly too short, I suspect these calculators don't factor in the added material needed where the spokes cross.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.