Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Welcome to the forums! So, your link doesn't work. But since it says 29er in the link text, I feel I can safely say that it isn't a downhill bike. Riding lifts and doing DH/bike park stuff is pretty demanding on a bike, and you're going to need a lot of suspension to do it properly. It's really fun, but it's also really expensive. New DH bikes can easily cost over $8000. But you can still get into it for relatively cheap, so don't worry too much.

First: price. Since you're just starting out and on a tight budget, you may want to have a look at some used full suspension bikes. Buying used may sound like a bad idea, but it isn't. Bikes lose a lot of their value when they are used, and that can work in your favor. A used bike that cost the original owner $1500 a few years ago might now be in your local classified ads for $500. As a general rule, if your budget is under $1000, you can get a FAR better used bike than you can a new bike. Better components, better suspension design, better everything.

Next, you're probably going to want a bike with 26" wheels. They're cheaper and stronger than 29er wheels. They're also the most common size of DH bike wheel. Second, you're going to need a full suspension bike. You can definitely ride a DH park on a front suspension bike, but it will beat you up as you get into the more technical terrain. Maybe look for a used Santa Cruz Bullit or something. It's been around forever, and it is a sweet bike to start out on. It is still considered a very good DH bike, and the older models are often very cheap in classified ads. Another option is the Kona Stinky. You could run the older models over with a tank and they'd be fine. I'm sure that with some effort, you can find a great bike to start out on.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
oh geez... if i had been drinking anything, it wold have gone out my nose

·
Registered
386 Posts
If you're trying out the park out for the first time rent a bike. That way if you don't like it there's no bike to sell.

Whatever you do read up on DH bikes and components so you know what you want.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kona Stinky

Found this on craigslist. It's a Kona Stinky.

Does this look okay? Condition wise?

Also I'm between 5'8 and 5'9 145 lbs. What size of bike am I looking for and would the one in the craigslist ad I posted fit me?

Thanks for the help and suggestions everybody

PS:

Santa Cruz Bullit Mountain Bike

I also found a Santa Cruz Bullit on Craigslist but the same guy has lowered it in the past week from 2500 to 600 to 350. I mean for 350 there has to be something wrong there right?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
the Santa Cruz looks stolen. Guy cant spell and nobody that knows about bikes would
rest their rear shock directly on a bike rack. Tell the police.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts