Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice on my tubeless problem. After 2 years riding i decided to go tubeless and have had no luck getting my tires to hold air???
Here is some info got 26'' dt swiss 420sl tubeless rims and kenda small block ust tires. I mounted the tires and inflated one but after 35 psi i could hear air leaking i found the leak at one of the spokes. So i dismounted the tire and replaced the very thin blue specialized rim tape with gorilla tape I then added stans sealant and beaded the tire to the rim inflated 35 psi and worked the sealant around and layed in down flat before going to bed i switched it to the other side. The next morning my tire was flat i turned on the water to my bathtub the one i never use and submersed the rim and tire then i heard my wife yelling at me but i didnt pay her an mind. what i found made me laugh like 8 spokes burping out air, I thought the sealant was suppose to stop a 1/4'' leak LOL.
Maybe one of the following???
Get the dt swiss kit?
Maybe better rim tape?
Or could it be tighten spokes But its a new rim and it spins with no hops or wiggles?
Any help appreciated. Tom:)

·
Can Tree Member
847 Posts
Get yourself over to the wheels & tires forum and ask your question there...it may be something as simple as needing the right rim strip to convert the rims to tubeless if they have spoke holes on the inner walls.

·
Registered
288 Posts
try inflating to 10 PSI then ride the wheels around the block. then re-inflate again. This ride will get the fluid into all the small holes/gaps. This should hold. Clean the rim, use the right amount of fluid (or a bit more) and after the first ride this should hold OK.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
tjohns14 said:
Need some advice on my tubeless problem. After 2 years riding i decided to go tubeless and have had no luck getting my tires to hold air???
Here is some info got 26'' dt swiss 420sl tubeless rims and kenda small block ust tires. I mounted the tires and inflated one but after 35 psi i could hear air leaking i found the leak at one of the spokes. So i dismounted the tire and replaced the very thin blue specialized rim tape with gorilla tape I then added stans sealant and beaded the tire to the rim inflated 35 psi and worked the sealant around and layed in down flat before going to bed i switched it to the other side. The next morning my tire was flat i turned on the water to my bathtub the one i never use and submersed the rim and tire then i heard my wife yelling at me but i didnt pay her an mind. what i found made me laugh like 8 spokes burping out air, I thought the sealant was suppose to stop a 1/4'' leak LOL.
Maybe one of the following???
Get the dt swiss kit?
Maybe better rim tape?
Or could it be tighten spokes But its a new rim and it spins with no hops or wiggles?
Any help appreciated. Tom:)
The rims are not tubeless. DT offers a conversion kit but it is iffy.

Using a proper UST compatible rim is the best solution.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
My $0.02:

The tape application is really picky.

Make sure the area around the spoke nipple holes is absolutely clean. Be meticulous applying the tape, make absolutely sure there are no bubbles or creases anywhere.

I had the same problem. The wheel ended up sealing after days of struggle, but when I took the tire off over the winter, there was semi-solid latex coated inside the rim, it took me several hours to dig most of it out.

This weekend I was *much* more careful with the tape and I got a good seal the first time, without using any sealant. UST tires probably help too.

Edit/ I have had better luck with a Stan's rim strip than the DT Swiss conversion kit. The integrated valve stem eliminates air leakage at that point. I've had a lot of difficulty with air leaking around the valve stem using DT's kit.
/Edit

Walt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.