Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Na
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very excited! Finally got my wheels ordered and decided to go with spank oozy wheels, DT Swiss 350 hubs with a 54 ratchet. I hear a lot of good things about these hubs and so I wanted to give him a try. The last wheels that I had built where frequency i23 with Shimano hubs and I believe that was about 8 years ago I could be off on the time frame a bit but it was quite a while ago. Looking forward to getting these on my bike!

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
Congrats! I built up a set of Asym i29’s with a 350 rear hub a while back. I haven’t upgraded the ratchet, but it’s been great so far. Pics?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,327 Posts
Can’t go wrong with either 240s or 350s. I have both, each with the 36 star tooth ratchet upgrade. Light, not obnoxious sounding, bulletproof and reasonably priced, especially the 350s. Enjoy.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
350s axle bearings need lub periodically beyond the ratchets which get DT special grease. Or else you'll need to replace them after 4-5 years or less if used in the wet. still my favorite hub.

·
jcd's best friend
2,964 Posts
I just got my DT Swiss 350 hubs mated to my Stan's Sentry rim along with DT Prolock nipples and DT spokes. So far everything is working great!

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Im on an anti 350 kick lately, but ill (begrudgingly) say you'll probably enjoy them. They just work. Not more or less, they just work.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
Problems? I've only had one but after several years and thousands of miles it's proved it's worth as the most reliable hub I've owned.
They're just boring and I dont spend too much time on hubs. Your experience is pretty much the standard. Its my goto hub for riders who break everything and dont want to swing a king. It'll definitely work for whoever you're putting on it, for many years.

I'd just rather ride something more interesting. Once I put nicer bearings in my pro4, I thought it was a fantastic hub! Really nice not having to fuss with that inner bearing too.

·
Combat Wombat
1,595 Posts
I'd just rather ride something more interesting. Once I put nicer bearings in my pro4, I thought it was a fantastic hub! Really nice not having to fuss with that inner bearing too.
I built up a set of wheels with Pro 4 hubs earlier this year. What do you consider nicer bearings that are a fantastic improvement over stock? Just wondering, so when I eventually need to replace mine, gives me an additional option.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I'd rather be riding then messing with equipment so I guess boring is good.
Ill be the first to admit I hardly have a point here ;) The only hubs that have caused me grief and downtime are the junky koozers. So that factors into my opinion as well.

I still like and use bite hubs, they've been flawless for me. I get 54 poe out of the box on a cheap bitex that lasts (for me), so a 350 is less appealing on my end.

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I built up a set of wheels with Pro 4 hubs earlier this year. What do you consider nicer bearings that are a fantastic improvement over stock? Just wondering, so when I eventually need to replace mine, gives me an additional option.
Normal steel SKF's! I blew out my hope bearings in a season.

It sucked, but total replacement was cheap and easy. I doubt I'll be doing bearings again on them.

·
All fat, all the time.
8,713 Posts
They're just boring and I dont spend too much time on hubs. Your experience is pretty much the standard. Its my goto hub for riders who break everything and dont want to swing a king. It'll definitely work for whoever you're putting on it, for many years.

Lol, same reason I've never run them, although I would like to some day. If they made a hub other than black they'd be on my bike.
But hope has never let me down so I stick with what I know.

·
psycho cyclo addict
2,978 Posts
DT Swiss (prefer 240's with 36t star ratchets) or King for me... they last amazingly well with minimal maintenance.

I have a Koozer rear on my gravel/CX bike and it hasn't been a problem in ~2,400 miles since I acquired it (used on a bike).

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm running/ran them as well and they've been rocking solid. Easy to maintain, low rolling resistance, and relatively light weight. The only gripe that I have is with changing standards; they dont offer the 180 in 32H boost spacing. So, I just switched to i9 for my new build.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,027 Posts
I'm running/ran them as well and they've been rocking solid. Easy to maintain, low rolling resistance, and relatively light weight. The only gripe that I have is with changing standards; they dont offer the 180 in 32H boost spacing. So, I just switched to i9 for my new build.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I converted my 180 hub to Boost.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,027 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts