Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
RideOrDieDan said:
I have raced many times before, but in the geared class. I also haven’t really ridded a SS to much before and never raced in the class Anyone have any advice a first timer in the SS class.

thanks
Go as fast as you can?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
RideOrDieDan said:
I have raced many times before, but in the geared class. I also haven’t really ridded a SS to much before and never raced in the class Anyone have any advice a first timer in the SS class.

thanks
I've done a few races in the last 5 years (all on the ss). I'm not the fastest guy, but I can generally hold my own. Here is my advise. Introduce yourself at the start and get a feel for the other riders. If you see a guy all decked out in race clothes, don't become frightened of him. He is probably just a guy like you, that is doing his first race too. Singlespeeders are generally friendly, for some reason not like the other classes. Above all else have fun! Work your arse off but have fun. The fast boys will take off right from the start. They will be flying. If you can keep up with them, go for it. This is where the men separate from the boys. Your heart will be in your throat, your lungs with be in your nose and your legs will be screaming!! If you feel confident in the distance of the race...try to keep up with them otherwise just go at 85% and try to keep pace. If you think you can make podium, make the podium. If you are well off the back, make it your race and don't care about the others....have fun!

andy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Did my first SS race last weekend. Got 7th out of 35 overall with only 2 other SS'ers.

Get a good nights sleep and eat an easily digestible big carb load dinner the night before. I did the opposite and was fighting down the puke the whole race. It was my limiting factor, not my legs or lungs, my gut. I didn't expect that.

It's fun getting respect from the gearies...

I wanna do another one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What about gearing?

Do you drop down to a smaller gear in the rear to have more speed on the flats and rollies, or just stick with your typical training gear.

I've always raced a geared bike, so this year will be my first year racing a ss. So far my weakness on a ss is the hamster-cage spinning. I've never been a spinner and have always done most of my racing in the big and middle rings. (24,34,46 with an 11-28 is still my current geared bike combo).

My personal comfortable cadence is around 85 to 95 rpm. I get worn out really fast on a ss trying to spin out at 110+ rpm.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of my team members isn’t racing so I asked if I could borrow his SS and try racing it, since I have been thinking of getting one. The course is a 14-mile time trial we’ll be leaving in two’s every 30seconds. So just as long as I can stay in front of the guy I start with I think I will be doing good! I’ll be racing geared in the expert class at 10:00 and SS in the expert/elite SS class at 12:30, which should give me 1-1/2 hour to eat/drink and rest.

It will be fun! I’m definitely looking forward to it, having another class to race in and group of people to compete with.

the 4 hour drive home is going to feel like 8.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
1) Don't agree to the beer stop unless you will really be stopping.

2) Have fun!

Not too much more to racing SS over gears other than that. The start of the SS here is always hugs and high fives and people checking out each other's rides. Sometimes the start is a bit mellower, but not usually. I usually do not do much of a warm-up because you want to save a bit for the actual event.

I would also suggest you do not think about the SS race during your age group race. You do not want to hold anything back because your first race will definately suffer if you so. As someone who sometimes does back to back races (cross race followed by a MTB race or C cross, 60 minute break, B cross), I have learned one of my races always suffers. I highly doubt that I will ever do a 2 race day again and recommend you bag one race or the other, because one of the 2 races will be a lesser performance for you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
bring asmall bottle of Vodka

Fill it up with water....30secs before the start pull it out of you pocket and start chugging it....get in there heads.... :D

i did three SS races for the first time this year and compared to the one geared race i did 4 yrs ago...a big difference in attitudes. everyone at the start of the SS races joke around and dont seem to be as serious even though they may be serious, it eased the tensions for me cuz i was nervous as hell being new to the racing seen....

·
Registered
511 Posts
JamR said:
What about gearing?

Any suggestions?
I think it really depends on the race course.

In my race i think I blew it on the gearing a bit (34/18). I should have been more like 32/18. This because the race was a 2000 ft climb to start and then all downhill. I should have had lower gearing for the climb, and on the downhill it didn't really matter. The race was one in the first mile or two on the fire road.

On a more rolly-flat couse I think you'd want 2/1 at least.

Matt

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lambone said:
I think it really depends on the race course.

In my race i think I blew it on the gearing a bit (34/18). I should have been more like 32/18. This because the race was a 2000 ft climb to start and then all downhill. I should have had lower gearing for the climb, and on the downhill it didn't really matter. The race was one in the first mile or two on the fire road.

On a more rolly-flat couse I think you'd want 2/1 at least.

Matt
Thanks !!!

Right now I'm running 33/19 with is just a hair easier than 32/18 but seems to be easy on the climbs.

I'll probably move up to 33/18 this after this weekend.

·
Registered
511 Posts
One thing I found was that you really need to watch your pacing.

If it is a short race maybe you can ride at your max for the full race, but if it's long you really need to pace out more.

It's tempting to try to keep up with the guys in front at the start...but it can burn you out real quick. I saved a bit and ended up catching up with some gearies later in the climb.

·
Registered
847 Posts
tk lawless tt?

You're prolly going to do pretty well if not win it if you're the dan that won at Custer.

RideOrDieDan said:
One of my team members isn’t racing so I asked if I could borrow his SS and try racing it, since I have been thinking of getting one. The course is a 14-mile time trial we’ll be leaving in two’s every 30seconds. So just as long as I can stay in front of the guy I start with I think I will be doing good! I’ll be racing geared in the expert class at 10:00 and SS in the expert/elite SS class at 12:30, which should give me 1-1/2 hour to eat/drink and rest.

It will be fun! I’m definitely looking forward to it, having another class to race in and group of people to compete with.

the 4 hour drive home is going to feel like 8.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Just did my first one last Sunday. Ended up losing to all but 2 of the gearies (16th out of 18 but everyone else had gears and suspension).
So here is my list of excuses... :D

It was my first race in 11 years...
I geared for the climbs to all be doable (32:19) this wasn't nearly fast enough to keep up on the meadow or dirt road sections of the course.
I crashed 3 times.
I was too nice in letting others pass.

But it was still fun and I will definitely do it again.

On courses that are up and down if you cant push 2:1 or greater for the whole thing you probably won't be competitive with the gearies.

I was very fatigued by the end but it was mostly upper body. Going singlespeed seemed like a fine idea... I was however questioning the wisdom of my rigid fork by days end.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts
Lambone said:
It's tempting to try to keep up with the guys in front at the start...but it can burn you out real quick. I saved a bit and ended up catching up with some gearies later in the climb.
I think that's good advice. Maybe don't kill yourself trying to speed on descents. Save it up for the climb, then reel people in there.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I've been racing my ss for 3 years now and have never placed better than 6th in my class which is cool cos I have a lot of fun. I have other mates who race ss with me and sometimes we decide to team up for an all out sprint at the start so we can get to the single track first which is very important cos you don't want to be stuck behind gearies on up hill single track. We do it just so we can say we led for a lap and its fun.
One of the most important things to remember when racing ss is to pace your self. Sure you could ride all the climbs on your practice lap but once you're at race pace you just won't have it in you and you'll have to get off and walk more than you should. About walking. I experimented with this at last weekends race. If there is a climb you know you can ride but have to dig pretty deep to do it, get off and run it. You'll reach the top fresher than any of the gearies granying it up and you won't lose too much time to them. Also you won't waste your self as much as if you rode it. Use your more refreshed state to power away from the top. If it's the last lap put the hammer down and ride and many climbs as you can. When walking your bike up steep stuff its quicker to pick it up and run with it than to wheel it up. I didn't think it would be till I tried it. When you are really hurting just remember the mind tells the body what to do, not the other way round. Its a good mantra when the back pain hits. A note on Breaking is to do it late and infrequently. Momentum is key. I never change my gearing from 2:1 cos I think it's more core ss to run what you brung.

Lastly remember that most races are races of attrition. You just have to out last the guys behind you and catch the ones in front.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
steelbike said:
You're prolly going to do pretty well if not win it if you're the dan that won at Custer.
I won at Custer, but it was on a geared bike, which I have only raced before tomorrow. I think I will be happy with whatever the turns-out as long as i give it my best! I just have to forget that an hour earlier I would have just went all out on the geared bike. mental! its all in my head, maintain speed, less brakes, save it for the hills. I think I got it!

by the way who is SteelBike?

I'll let everyone know how it went..

·
Professional lurker
218 Posts
Dano, it's too late for today, but remember TK is tight and twisty. Gearing should emphasize acceleration over top end speed.

Just stay out of the trees there crash...

Have fun and remember to take that extra 60 bucks for your NORBA license...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
first SS race experance

That bike was FUN!!! since friday last week I have ridden the SS more than the geared bike. the greared race wetn well, I placed 3rd. About 40mins after I finished my geared race I started single speed. I was very nervous! I felt like I was waiting to start at my first MTB race. All I wanted to do was make up all the hills and finish, which I though was a good goal for my first single speed race and second time riding a SS. The race went very good! I finished and behind 2 very respectable single speeders, made it up all the hills and even passed a few people on the longer hills! I though I was done hitting my shoulders on trees, but the wide handlebars and trying to keep speed in the corners helped to change that, but I never did come off the bike! But the SS race and the bike were fun and added an entire new demention to MTB'ing. my legs, back, neck, arms and hands all felt the joy of a full rigid SS. :)

once I get mine own, I plan on racing in the SS class more often! Today I’m going to put in my order for my first SS, a full rigid Unit! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts