Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm a first-time poster and thought I'd start in this section, as I'm in the market for a new ride. I have some ideas of what I want to get, so please send me whichever direction you feel is appropriate, given my questions....just getting a feel for the site...

I've been riding for about 4 years. First had a HT and then got my current bike - A Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ disc in 2002. The Sugar is set up as follows: Manitou Black Elite shock (hate it), Cane Creek rear (ok), Mavic Rims, XT wheels, Avid mechanical disc brakes, and mostly unremarkable stuff from there. It's been a good bike, but I'm ready to upgrade.

Here in Chico, CA, we ride a lot of lava rock. Personally, I am not one who enjoys going fast downhill and usually ride with people who blow past me on the down, then I catch up on the uphill. So, something lighter but can still take a decent hit from time to time would probably be good. Again, I can spend about $2k.

The main reason I picked that amount is that I've been loyal to this one bike shop in town that has treated me quite well. I am NOT a "tinkerer" at all and the bikes I"m bought from them have come w/ free lifetime maintenance which I have been more than happy to take advantage of.

So, the bike they are raving about is the Giant Trance series. I've ridden the Trance 3, but there are no 2's in stock - especially to demo (e.g. on a real ride and not on the pavement). They also deal in Santa Cruz and Gary Fisher.

I'm open to not buying from them, but the circumstances would need to be right. My main questions - aside from general recommendations are these:

(1) What sort of improvement will I see in real-life riding between my Sugar and something like the Trance 2?

(2) Do people actually dump thousands of dollars on a bike without taking it on a "real" ride? There are so few demo's available, I guess I was lucky that I got to take my Sugar out on the dirt...what's the normal practice?

(3) What are your opinions on the $2k price point? I picked it because I was willing to spend it on the Trance 2....but would I be better off a few hundred more or less?

(4) Should I post specific questions about the Trance 2 (the way in which I'm leaning) and it's components here or in the Giant section?

(5) I eventually would like to post about how much I can expect to get for my Sugar and where to best post an ad...do I discuss that here or in another section?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading your replies!

matt

·
3 on the tree
206 Posts
kiva said:
Hi all

I'm a first-time poster and thought I'd start in this section, as I'm in the market for a new ride. I have some ideas of what I want to get, so please send me whichever direction you feel is appropriate, given my questions....just getting a feel for the site...

I've been riding for about 4 years. First had a HT and then got my current bike - A Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ disc in 2002. The Sugar is set up as follows: Manitou Black Elite shock (hate it), Cane Creek rear (ok), Mavic Rims, XT wheels, Avid mechanical disc brakes, and mostly unremarkable stuff from there. It's been a good bike, but I'm ready to upgrade.

Here in Chico, CA, we ride a lot of lava rock. Personally, I am not one who enjoys going fast downhill and usually ride with people who blow past me on the down, then I catch up on the uphill. So, something lighter but can still take a decent hit from time to time would probably be good. Again, I can spend about $2k.

The main reason I picked that amount is that I've been loyal to this one bike shop in town that has treated me quite well. I am NOT a "tinkerer" at all and the bikes I"m bought from them have come w/ free lifetime maintenance which I have been more than happy to take advantage of.

So, the bike they are raving about is the Giant Trance series. I've ridden the Trance 3, but there are no 2's in stock - especially to demo (e.g. on a real ride and not on the pavement). They also deal in Santa Cruz and Gary Fisher.

I'm open to not buying from them, but the circumstances would need to be right. My main questions - aside from general recommendations are these:

(1) What sort of improvement will I see in real-life riding between my Sugar and something like the Trance 2?

(2) Do people actually dump thousands of dollars on a bike without taking it on a "real" ride? There are so few demo's available, I guess I was lucky that I got to take my Sugar out on the dirt...what's the normal practice?

(3) What are your opinions on the $2k price point? I picked it because I was willing to spend it on the Trance 2....but would I be better off a few hundred more or less?

(4) Should I post specific questions about the Trance 2 (the way in which I'm leaning) and it's components here or in the Giant section?

(5) I eventually would like to post about how much I can expect to get for my Sugar and where to best post an ad...do I discuss that here or in another section?

Thanks for your time. I look forward to reading your replies!

matt
Hey Matt,

I'm in a similar position in buying a new ride - I'm looking to spend around $2100, and along with the Trance 2, I'm considering the Reign 2, Yeti 575 Enduro, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MkIII Expert, and an 04 Hollowpoint Team. The 04 originally retailed for $4k, and I would imagine that at this pricepoint the bike would be really light, which would compliment your climbing prowess. Check out the spec @ rscycle.com.

I'm trying to demo all the bikes I can before I buy - that's a lot of dough! I'll demo the Yeti tomorrow at a local race here in SoCal. I imagine you're a few hours from Monterey, and Giant may have a demo day set up at the Sea Otter - maybe check their website to see? Also, will your local LBS allow you to demo the Trance 3 on the trail? You'll at least be able to get the feel of the rear suspension - the geometry and rear shock is identical.

Definitely cross-post in the Giant forum for further info, and check the product review section to get feedback on the Trance componentry. I just started posting on mtbr myself, and the people who contribute to this site are a pretty good resource. Good luck in your quest!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.