Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yesterday my friend threesticks and i drove to prescott to ride granite basin. first time for me, second for him.

what a gorgeous day for a ride! it was really cool and we wore our long sleeves; it felt good to get the winter gear out. we started at the metate TH and soon came to one of the many intersections. thanks to the recommendations of many, and a local map, we had no trouble finding our way around.

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
we saw lots of small critters and even stopped to take pics of a couple. this was one big and fat horned toad. the other two we spotted were “normal” size. then we saw two of these lizards and both posed calmly for us.

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh my, trail 347 was a hoot. i thought it the equivalent of bluffs (MMP) but in the woods. here we posed for a pic.

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the route we did: 351-347-308-345-347-351. Going north, at the intersection of 347 with 345 we continued north on 347 to the williamson valley TH; we wanted to check out that section for possible future reference. during our snack time, we asked a couple of hikers that were setting out, about trails 308 and the section of 345 that makes a loop back to 347. they said "we've seen bikes in all these trails." so, like lambs led to the slaughter we happily took off on 308 enjoying the nice rolling terrain and open space...

then came 345...

oy vey...

two engineering minds couldn't decipher that NO TIRE TRACKS on this trail could mean "turn around you dummies".

NOOO, onward we went...riding 10 feet, walking 100 yds over big rocks, baby heads, steep climbs, drops; you get the picture. a few times we considered turning around but kept going, hoping the suffering would end soon. by the time we made it back to 347 i was pooped. so the climb back on it was, well you can imagine. i had to stop every so often to catch my breath but were asaulted by a zillion gnats.

Attachments

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in all we rode 16 miles and soon after eating a hefty lunch in Prescott we forgot all about the bad sections and started planning our next ride up there before it turns too cold!

·
Everyone Bleeds!
315 Posts
Hey!

I DID recommend that you avoid Mint Wash, AKA Tr#345! That trail is just a real pain! Oh, and Juan thinks that you stop at PetSmart before/after each ride to get the photos of the critters :) . We NEVER see any critters :madman:! Too bad we got to work on Saturday or we would take you up on the ride. Back to Tr#345, we went over to Estrella Mountain Park and road some trail over there (Not the competitive track). OMG! More sand than ocean front property and worse than Mint Wash, never going back! Glad you had fun up there though!:thumbsup:

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,043 Posts
kaboose said:
what a gorgeous day for a ride! it was really cool and we wore our long sleeves; .
Wha!? It was like 80 degrees.

:thumbsup: Glad you had fun. 345 does have some rough spots, that part you did after 308 is referred to as the "tech section", so yeah, it's like that. We started with that for Ionmuse's big circumnavigation ride a few months back.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jayem said:
Wha!? It was like 80 degrees.

:thumbsup: Glad you had fun. 345 does have some rough spots, that part you did after 308 is referred to as the "tech section", so yeah, it's like that. We started with that for Ionmuse's big circumnavigation ride a few months back.
yes, it was 80° at noon, not 9am when we got there. it did warm up rather quickly though, but the breeze was very nice!

that section of 345 after 308 should not be called tech, but impossible!! :D me thinks it's prolly not as bad going cw...
in any case, i'll never EVER ride it again. (ride it - HA, i crack myself!)

·
my dog's Frisbee launcher
513 Posts
kaboose,
glad you had a good time.yes 347 is a hoot!
thanks for sharing your pics. I love your photo shop work or do you have that many arms?:crazy:
Trail 396 is a fun trail as well but you'll have to do a bit more climbing it's on the other side of town and runs between White Spar rd (hwy 89) and Senator hwy.

"that section of 345 after 308 should not be called tech, but impossible!!" me thinks it's prolly not as bad going cw...
in any case, i'll never EVER ride it again. (ride it - HA, i crack myself!)
But the views of Granite Mt and Mint wash are wonderful from that trail you've got to go back :D

come back soon
Cheers Billy

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ArmedMonk said:
I DID recommend that you avoid Mint Wash, AKA Tr#345!
no, no, NOOOOOOO!!! we didn't do mint wash; i obeyed and avoided it. i was a good girl, don't incarcerate me yet! what we did was the upper part of 345 which (now) i'm sure is worse than mint wash. see 'el mapo' below. the section of 345 we did was the western section of 347-308-345 which we did ccw.

ArmedMonk said:
We NEVER see any critters :madman:!
HA! that's cuz you're flying down the trails and poor juan is too busy huffin' and puffin' tryin' to keep up. slow down and you'll see mucho critters out there! (actually, it's steve who spots most of them at petsmart, er, on the trail :D )

ArmedMonk said:
we went over to Estrella Mountain Park and road some trail over there. OMG! More sand than ocean front property and worse than Mint Wash, never going back!
that's what i've heard about EMP and that's why i've never been or ever will; i H8 sand.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
gnats, no longer a problem

Just buy a Buzz Off bandana and wear it under or attached to your helmet. Gnats will stay away from your head. I was a landscaper for 34 years, just wish I'd had one then.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AKA Monkeybutt said:
If you have not already, try trail 305 the next time you head up there. 305 is sweet single track through the trees and goes by Lynx Lake. There's also a real good climbing trail (Trail 297) at the end of 305 if you still have energy.
i rode 305 back in august of 2002 when michael cornelious from your rideaz group took me and a couple of my friends. i was a noob then and that day i had terrible problems with my rear derailleur. i remember quite a bit of climbing but i think i did most of it. at one point we crossed a road and we lost michael for a while. he was waiting at the TH.

a few weeks later i took some other friends up there but could not find the trail across the road so we turned around.

thanks for reminding me, i should get a map and do that again.

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
abegold said:
Just buy a Buzz Off bandana...
i rather get one that would "buzz off obama":D :D
jk, thx for the tip!

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
befoot said:
kaboose,
glad you had a good time.yes 347 is a hoot!
thanks for sharing your pics. I love your photo shop work or do you have that many arms?:crazy:
aint photoshop fun?

Trail 396 is a fun trail as well but you'll have to do a bit more climbing it's on the other side of town and runs between White Spar rd (hwy 89) and Senator hwy.
any maps available? how long a trail?

"that section of 345 after 308 ...
But the views of Granite Mt and Mint wash are wonderful from that trail you've got to go back :D
you're absolutely right, the views from up there were really beautiful. at one point steve showed me where mint wash trail was, "way down there" amongst some very green trees. but thanks, once was 'nuff for this ol' gal. ;)
Cheers Billy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts