Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently found out I'm going to be in Portland for a week on business, and I'm really hoping to get some riding in. I'm going to be there from July 30th to August 12th, and I probably have some free time especially all day Friday so I was hoping to find out...

1) Where's the best place to ride within a couple hours of Portland? I should have at least one entire day to ride plus maybe a bit more. Technical single track would be awsome and keep in mind I'm from the east coast so some elevation would be perfect.

2) Any reccomendations on renting a bike? I found Fat Tire Farm on the web who demos Specialized Enduros, any other places I could look. I was thinking of taking my bike but that can be a pain so if I can rent something similar (I ride a prophet)...

I apologize if this stuff has been discussed, looking through the other threads I got a bit lost so I'd really appreciate any reccomendations anyone might have

Thanks...Matt

·
Registered
396 Posts
check these out!

Go North to Mt. St. Helens and ride Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham. See pics a few threads below. Big group ride there August 5th by Seattle club (BBTC) Take lots of water.

Go East to Hood River, check here for rentals and a map www.discoverbicycles.com or www.mtviewcycles.com and ride Mt. Hood area. Probably be dusty. Pic below.

NW Forest pass needed for parking both places.

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
14,498 Posts
If you.....................

Hoot said:
So I recently found out I'm going to be in Portland...
Milt's suggestion of Mt. St. Helens is ideal. On the other hand if you have a weekend to play or want to get an early start on a long day, drive to Oakridge (3 hrs from Portland). There you'll find 500 miles of arguably the best singletrack Oregon has to offer -- Alpine Trail, Middle Fork, Moon Point, Larison Creek (or Rock), Bunchgrass, Salmon Creek, etc (even ETC!). On the way to Oakridge from Eugene lie Hardesty Mtn, Lawler, Goodman Creek, Eagle's Rest, South Willamette, Tire Mountain, Winberry Divide & Winberry Tie.

Or with about the same amount of driving as Portland to Oakridge, you could always ride the world famous McKenzie River Trail (both Oakridge and MRT are about an hour east of Eugene, which is about 2 hours south of Portland).

Both areas I'm recommending are more convenient to access from Eugene than they are from Portland, but I'm just saying if you've got the time...

If you head south of P-town to ride, contact the Disciples of Dirt and you'll make instant friends who love to ride and introduce visitors to the good stuff. Click my sig. :thumbsup:

--Sparty

1 - 3 of 3 Posts