Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Sunday my wife and I took a plunge and bought a pair of 29er's, both equipped with mechanical discs. She's only been cycling seriously for about a year now (with me), and relies on me for bicycle maintenance. This would be fine, however I've always been more into electronics and not mechanics...

While I've had bicycles with V-brakes ever since 1999, this is my first foray into anything without a motor having discs. My biggest question is, how does it differ in popping the wheel off in the event of a flat tire? I know it sounds stupid, but I really don't know and would like to at least get an idea before I go and screw something up.

I got her a Giant Ranier 1 and I *believe* it has Hayes M-5 discs (2011, 12 has Avid Elixirs :( ) and I got a Kona Mahuna which, I believe has Avid BB-5 (also an 11, 12 has Elixirs).

Thanks guys, and I can't wait to hit up Pocahontas State Park and Belle Isle, as well as Powhite Park! I haven't mountain biked since 2005, as I spent too much money on drinking and other stupid (nee, fun) stuff in the military...

·
I <3 dirt
1,430 Posts
It's even easier to take the wheel on and off. Just work the quick release as normal and pull the wheel straight out. When installing the wheel just make sure the rotor ends up between the pads; sometimes it can get hung up on the tabs sticking off the pads.

Oh and congrats on the new bikes!

·
It's all about the FSR!
445 Posts
If you plan on taking the front wheel off quite a bit, I would get some brake inserts. Just a piece of plastic that slips inbetween the pads so that if you accidentally engage the brakes while moving or loading your bike, nothing will happen. If you do this without the spacer, you will need a screwdriver or something to pry the pads back apart to get your rotor back in when you put the wheel on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. And it's really that simple? Awesome. I mean, the bike I REALLY wanted when I got my Trek FX 7.5 was the Scott SUB 20, which also has discs, but our local Scott dealer doesn't believe in stocking them because "They don't sell." How can you sell what you don't have??

I'm hoping to have some time Friday morning/Saturday afternoon and will DEFINITELY have time Sunday to get out. Unfortunately, she won't. Saturday morning will be 37 miles on the road with the wife into downtown Richmond and back. There are some trails I've been itching to hit ever since we walked the dogs by them last summer

·
I <3 dirt
1,430 Posts
If you plan on taking the front wheel off quite a bit, I would get some brake inserts. Just a piece of plastic that slips inbetween the pads so that if you accidentally engage the brakes while moving or loading your bike, nothing will happen. If you do this without the spacer, you will need a screwdriver or something to pry the pads back apart to get your rotor back in when you put the wheel on.
Sounds like he has cable brakes so this really isn't needed.

·
Class Clown
3,773 Posts
With mechanical brakes I like to moves the pads away from the rotor a little first, makes putting the wheel in a little easier (easy to do with bb7's anyway).

You should really just try it at home rather than learn out in the wilderness somewhere. Sometimes when I reinstall the wheel the pads need a slight adjustment, probably because the tension of the quick release is a little different so you should know how to adjust your pads/calipers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.