Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran a trail system yesterday after not being able to do any mtn biking for a few years. Ran across about 6 cyclists, 4 of which were on e-bikes. Nice enough chaps and exercised good trail etiquette.

I have an honest question about e-bike riders, forgive me if it has been asked. Each of these guys I saw were younger guys, all appeared to be fit and in reasonably good shape. One was a little pudgy, but I'm not exactly in my Greek god phase anymore either. In short, all of these guys appeared as though they would have no trouble with non-assisted bikes. So the question....are these types of e-bike buyers simply not that interested in the fitness aspect of the sport? As in, they want to engage and have fun with the sport, but aren't willing or don't care to develop their fitness traditionally required of mountain biking? They all looked like they could do so if they were motivated. Just curious. I love the fitness part of it and can't understand why someone would not be interested in that part of it.

·
Registered
20,186 Posts
are these types of e-bike buyers simply not that interested in the fitness aspect of the sport? As in, they want to engage and have fun with the sport, but aren't willing or don't care to develop their fitness traditionally required of mountain biking?
Is that so hard to believe? If they have fun and stick with riding (even on their e-bikes) they will get more fit whether they intended to or not.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
For some it's a time issue, for some it's a love of technology, others want to be able to do absolutely massive rides on a more frequent basis,some want the climbs to hurt a little less, some suck, some don't have obvious external injuries, some are not as interested in the fitness aspect, etc etc. There is no one size fits all for anyone riding a eBike. Just like there is not one size fits all between the different dirt disciplines (cx, gravel, xc, downcountry, trail, enduro, freeride, downhill)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Wait, so you’re telling me you cannot understand why someone wouldn’t want to bust out 30 miles, 7000’ elevation gain all before noon and still have time and energy to be with the family and get chores done, and then do it all again the next day?

Just curious, how many miles and elevation did you do on this ride of yours?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, so you’re telling me you cannot understand why someone wouldn’t want to bust out 30 miles, 7000’ elevation gain all before noon and still have time and energy to be with the family and get chores done, and then do it all again the next day?

Just curious, how many miles and elevation did you do on this ride of yours?
I was just asking an honest question. Since this has forum has more pricks than a porcupine convention I knew people like you would come out of and get all puffed up on me over nothing, but that's part of the charm here, no? If confused, read the first sentence of this response again.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Except they didn’t bust out 30 miles and 7000’…they busted out 15 miles and 3500ft. A motor did the remainder.
That brings a point I was trying to convey - the sense of accomplishment part. Maybe it is that more than the fitness itself, but a sense of accomplishment for me personally goes hand in had with a great day on the trail, and not just that it was simply fun. Different strokes and all that.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I was just asking an honest question. Since this has forum has more pricks than a porcupine convention I knew people like you would come out of and get all puffed up on me over nothing, but that's part of the charm here, no? If confused, read the first sentence of this response again.
Ok, let me be more clear as a “fit and young” ebike enthusiast.

Yes, I care about maintaining my fitness.
Yes, I ride ebikes every week and do not worry about whether other bikers think I’m getting a good workout or not. (Hint, I am).

Now want to answer my question, how big was your ride?

·
furker
915 Posts
Folks I know with e-bikes all seem to have perfectly reasonable reasons. like:

-Tired of shuttling or paying for lift tickets, and want to self-shuttle by pedaling up the shuttle route.
-Want to spend more time on the fun parts of the trail, and would rather burn through the boring fire roads quickly to get to more fun sections of trail. More fun then wasting all day grinding and only getting in 10 minutes ride time on the actual fun stuff.
-The trails they like to ride really need 170+ mm of travel, but those bikes tend to be lousy climbers.
-Ride their ebikes instead of driving to busy trailheads where there is never any parking anymore since covid.

·
climber
601 Posts
All of the e bike riders I have experienced have been middle aged fit men. I think this is who can afford the expense over a bicycle. I wonder if they really wanted a motorcycle instead but their wives wouldn't let them?
I don't really care as long a good etiquette is involved.
This is so true about this demographic - and having raced Moto in my distant past, I will not allow MYSELF to buy a motorcycle :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Read the thread about individuals that ride both; myriad of reasons. I ride MTB three rimes a week with my wife, and she likes to "hurt" so won't ride her e-bike (except very occasionally), so I ride mine only on one or two solo trips a week.

·
Registered
20,186 Posts
That brings a point I was trying to convey - the sense of accomplishment part. Maybe it is that more than the fitness itself, but a sense of accomplishment for me personally goes hand in had with a great day on the trail, and not just that it was simply fun. Different strokes and all that.
That seems like a pretty subjective thing. Sense of accomplishment is highly personal, is it not? For you it might be measured in total miles ridden, or elevation gain, or some other measurement that an endurance athlete uses. For other people it could be just being able to get out of the office (or away from childcare duties) to ride one day per week, or something like that. You never know what's going on in other peoples' lives so I try not to judge.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
That brings a point I was trying to convey - the sense of accomplishment part.
My sense of accomplishment doesn't come from my MTB rides. The MTB rides are a realization of my fitness. I get my sense of accomplishment from consistency on my trainer / following structed rides, yoga, strength, racing, all day / planned adventure rides. The sense of accomplishment is a culmination of many different aspects of my life that leads to riding.

A ride is just something I do to blow off steam and help keep the stress from creeping too high. But a single ride is just a ride.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,118 Posts
I currently own...
  • a road bike
  • a rigid mountain bike
  • 2 FS mountain bikes
  • an ebike
  • an off-road motorcycle
...plus have owned probably 2-3 dozen bicycles (mostly mountain bikes) through the past 35 years that I've sold or given away as the sport's equipment has advanced and motivated me to try new equipment.

Answer -- they're all fun in their own way.

Yeah, I'm fit. But I'm fit because I love to get out there one way or another. As for the various 2-wheelers, I mix 'em up.

Like I said, they're each fun in their own way.
=sParty

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It takes a special type of porcupine convention to question other people's motivations to ride what they like to ride, and to judge for yourself whether other people are gaining fitness out of what they do or not.

Just sayin' ....
Good lord, I'm just trying to understand the perspective, I'm not judging. Aren't we supposed to be open-minded and learn different perspectives?

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Here's my call.

E-bikes are all about FPH. Fun per hour. You can smash out more fun in that hour that what you can on a standard bike.
You can choose to go hard out or choose to cruise.

For descent orientated people like myself the ebike allows for more descending per hour and also add fun to the flat and up.

With that said, I don't have an e-bike yet.... One day ill get one.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.