Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and of course I end up with a mechanical. I picked up a $90 road bike for commuting and training purposes a few weeks ago. On my five mile ride in this morning coming off a drainage grate I hit the pavement a little hard (apparently) and dented the crap out of the rim. After stopping and determining there was little I could do, I continued riding. About 2 miles later the tube explodes like a gunshot. Again I stop, and seeing little I could do I rode the last mile on the flat tire; I figured the rim was already FUBAR, so why not?

:madman:

Just needed to vent a bit. Other then that the commute when better then I expected. Can't wait to fix this puppy and continue:thumbsup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, it definitely sucks. I'm currently scouring craigslist for a replacement wheel/parts bike. I rode my old mtb in today (a bit too small for me and with knobbies) and I was wishing for the road tires the whole way in.

Are there skinny road tires out there with a bit more volume to help prevent this sort of damage? I'd need one in 27"....

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Frs1661 said:
Yea, it definitely sucks. I'm currently scouring craigslist for a replacement wheel/parts bike. I rode my old mtb in today (a bit too small for me and with knobbies) and I was wishing for the road tires the whole way in.

Are there skinny road tires out there with a bit more volume to help prevent this sort of damage? I'd need one in 27"....
Universal has a pretty good selection of 27" tires including a few wider sizes. The only 27s I`ve used have been skinny (too skinny for my taste), so I can`t recomend any specifically, but some of these are cheap enough to be worth a risk.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/index.php?category=1745

I was looking for cheap 27" wheels a few months ago and ran into a few new ones for about $100 per pair, but don`t remember where I saw them. If you get whole wheels, I recomend you try very hard to avoid steel rims. Best bet might be to keep scouting out Craigs List for a while like you`re already doing. Good luck with your commute- hope your luck improves.

EDIT: I ended up getting a set of Nashbar brand rims for about $10 each or so and reusing my hubs. I don`t recomend those particular rims- very noodly, even with 36 spokes. Wish I`d kept looking for a wheelset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.