Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I tried for 45 minutes with shoes on my feet to clip in and cannot do it. Crank Brothers candy 1 pedals and FiveTen Kestrel shoes. Do I need to add the shims? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

·
jcd's best friend
3,036 Posts
I actually double shimmed my Specialized 2FO Cliplites to work perfectly with my Crankbrothers Mallet E and DH pedals. For you, try adding a single shim for each shoe and see if it works. You can also try attaching the shoe to the pedal without wearing it too. Doing that will let you see how the cleats are engaging into the pedal.

If you do need to double shim, you may need to order extra shims seeing the pedal kit only comes with a single shim for each shoe.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The shop you picked up the shoes and/or pedals from may be able to help if you take your bike and shoes up there. Perhaps it is a common adjustment they can quickly solve.

I don't use clipless, but like mentioned above, I have HEARD that some of the flat pedal style of shoe don't offer enough clearance to the cleat to engage the pedal.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I actually double shimmed my Specialized 2FO Cliplites to work perfectly with my Crankbrothers Mallet E and DH pedals. For you, try adding a single shim for each shoe and see if it works. You can also try attaching the shoe to the pedal without wearing it too. Doing that will let you see how the cleats are engaging into the pedal.

If you do need to double shim, you may need to order extra shims seeing the pedal kit only comes with a single shim for each shoe.
Attaching the shoes to the pedal by hand worked but was very difficult. Guess I will add a shim. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Attaching the shoes to the pedal by hand worked but was very difficult. Guess I will add a shim. Thanks.
All the Crank Bros I've used need the shims. The only shoe/cleat combo I've used that work perfectly without shims or trimming is the Shimano ME7 with Shimano clipless pedals.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the same shoes. As other have said you need shims. Alternatively, give the stainless steel shoe shields a try. They will do the same thing as shims but also give a better feel to clipping in and out and prevent the clip mechanism from wearing out the bottom of your shoe.

I've only been on clips for 2 months. I use the Crank Brothers Mallet E pedals. I found that getting the 10* release cleats was also pretty helpful but that is to aid in getting OUT of the pedals, not in.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
This is not likely you're problem, but one issue I've seen many times with those new to clipless is hooking the nose of the cleat in the pedal then dropping the heel trying to get the rear of the cleat to click in. Of course the pedal simply rotates with the foot so this doesn't work. I find it best to hold the foot slightly toe-down and push forward and down on the pedal keeping the toe pointed down.

I started using clipless in the mid 90s, SPDs mostly, Crank Bro's for year or so, and Look on road bikes. The CB's were OK, but I preferred and went back to SPDs.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I tried CB's once a while back, and had a fit trying to get them to work as smooth as SPD's do right "out of the box" (Shimano brand pedals and cleats). It's not impossible to get CB's working, and they work they well once adjusted. But I went back to SPD. Just one less thing to worry about and fiddle with, and I personally like they way SPD's feel and work over CB's.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if the cleats are installed correctly?

I have never needed to shim/trim any shoe/pedal I've had. But, I've only ever run M747, M8000, M8020, and Candy pedals, on dedicated clipless shoes. (Not flats compatible)

If the cleat is installed backwards, they won't work.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use the same shoes. As other have said you need shims. Alternatively, give the stainless steel shoe shields a try. They will do the same thing as shims but also give a better feel to clipping in and out and prevent the clip mechanism from wearing out the bottom of your shoe.

I've only been on clips for 2 months. I use the Crank Brothers Mallet E pedals. I found that getting the 10* release cleats was also pretty helpful but that is to aid in getting OUT of the pedals, not in.
Thanks man.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now I am frustrated, still cannot clip in even with shims. Something I am not getting.

Any reco's for easy-to-clip in pedals under $100?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Now I am frustrated, still cannot clip in even with shims. Something I am not getting.

Any reco's for easy-to-clip in pedals under $100?
Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I would hate to see you spend more money that is wasted. That shoe and pedal combo work, so you must be doing something wrong.

Even though you didn’t buy the shoes from a local shop, I would take the whole setup to one and see what they say. My LBS would try to help you regardless.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts