Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my first bike build. It's been fun so far and I'm learning a ton. I'm basically doing it all through YouTube videos.

I bought some Shimano Deore brakes and I need to figure out how to install them. Gonna look for videos soon, but what should I expect? The brakes are all ready to go, but since I'm going to route them internally, I assume I'm gonna have to cut them and drain and refill them. Is there a way to cap the hoses off to not lose the fluid? Or is a bleed inevitable? Should I just order a bleed kit now?

Any direction is appreciated. Thanks

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
You'll want a bleed kit eventually so you may as well buy one now.
IME when the hose is cut, if you're the slightest bit careful, not much mineral oil will escape.
I've always gotten buy with just a lever bleed.
In case that's a new-to-you phrase, a lever bleed is where you just screw the cup onto the lever port, fill the cup half full of mineral oil and then flick the lever until bubbles stop coming up. Boom -- you've topped up your master cylinder. Obviously the lever must be positioned at the high point in the system so that air works its way up to the lever.
Super easy, takes 5 minutes.
=sParty

· Registered
1,099 Posts
Be meticulous and TAKE YOUR TIME. A lot of bleeds are ruined by people rushing the procedure and then post here about how their levers feel so soft. A good bleed takes patience.

For Shimano specifically, I have 2 bleed cups. I proceed with the entire bleed but I add an extra step in the end by attaching both bleed cups to the levers, filling them about halfway, and squeezing the lever 2/3s, and tying them with something. I let it sit overnight. This’ll force the air bubbles up in your the cups. After sitting, finish the bleed as you normally would.

Not necessary but I’ve found that the lever feel is vastly improved by adding that extra step.

· Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,165 Posts
Be meticulous and TAKE YOUR TIME. A lot of bleeds are ruined by people rushing the procedure and then post here about how their levers feel so soft. A good bleed takes patience.

For Shimano specifically, I have 2 bleed cups. I proceed with the entire bleed but I add an extra step in the end by attaching both bleed cups to the levers, filling them about halfway, and squeezing the lever 2/3s, and tying them with something. I let it sit overnight. This'll force the air bubbles up in your the cups. After sitting, finish the bleed as you normally would.

Not necessary but I've found that the lever feel is vastly improved by adding that extra step.
Good to know!
=sParty

· Registered
305 Posts
Doing my first bike build. It's been fun so far and I'm learning a ton. I'm basically doing it all through YouTube videos.

I bought some Shimano Deore brakes and I need to figure out how to install them. Gonna look for videos soon, but what should I expect? The brakes are all ready to go, but since I'm going to route them internally, I assume I'm gonna have to cut them and drain and refill them. Is there a way to cap the hoses off to not lose the fluid? Or is a bleed inevitable? Should I just order a bleed kit now?

Nothing you can't handle with an ounce of patience, a good ear and a watchful eye. As others have said a bleed kit is worth more than a trip to a bike shop. More than several trips in fact. Buy some nitrile gloves and rubbing alcohol. There are also some tools out there, inexpensive ones that are designed to install the hose barb without a hammer. I'll try and find a link for you. Absolutely entirely worth it. Good luck on your journey!
-Paul

· Registered
978 Posts
Thanks to everyone. I appreciate anyone who can point me to a good video also. So far building a bike from scratch has been fun, and I'm learning a ton.
The first bike build is always special (y)
I highly recommend the EZmtb bleed kit. It's cheep and works very well. I use this kit for many different 2 and 4 pistion mineral oil brakes like Shimano, TRP and Tektro.

· Registered
711 Posts

I've never tried capping the line for the front brake, since it isn't internally routed. Just make sure when you cut the brake line to keep the open end of the hose pointed up while you're installing everything (nut, rubber grommet, barb, etc.), and if possible, try to keep it pointed up as you install the whole line into the master cylinder. I've done a few front brakes that when installed the lever didn't really even feel like it needed a bleed, but I did the lever bleed and a few bubbles came up.

As far as capping the rear brake hose while installing it through the frame (internal routing), I just put a piece of tape over the end of the line. You're probably going to lose some fluid when doing a rear brake, so I just put the tape over the line to hopefully keep from making a mess, and plan on doing a bleed once it is installed and the hose is cut to the final length.

I've read that some folks plug a cut brake hose with a nail to keep in from leaking, but I've never found one small enough to get all the way into the brake hose while still allowing for the hose to be routed internally.

· MTBR Member since 2001...
331 Posts
This is how I learned,,,, 2005 ed. Best $25 I ever spent. Outdated by todays standards, but it was all there. There is somethng truly special about building your first bike. Its true.

Tire Wheel Bicycle Smile Bicycle tire

Now we all watch videos and bam.... Instant bike. Park Tools has good videos too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.