Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres the deal, bought a bike off ebay, a Specialized Hardrock Comp, the one with disc brakes, forks were broke and the seller replaced them, got a pair of forks just like the ones that cmae stock, Marzoochi MZ Comps. THe derailers need adjusting and the brakes do too. I will take the bike to the LBS and let them tune it, but should i go ahead and get things right, such as replacing calbes, even if they are still usable? The wheels need to be trued, there are some bolts here and there showing rust, should I rpelce them right off. I need your advice riders, im new to the sport, raced bmx when i was like 6, raced motocross recently, but Im new to the sport so whatever you can tell me would be great.

·
Registered
497 Posts
blackyz125 said:
Ok heres the deal, bought a bike off ebay, a Specialized Hardrock Comp, the one with disc brakes, forks were broke and the seller replaced them, got a pair of forks just like the ones that cmae stock, Marzoochi MZ Comps. THe derailers need adjusting and the brakes do too. I will take the bike to the LBS and let them tune it, but should i go ahead and get things right, such as replacing calbes, even if they are still usable? The wheels need to be trued, there are some bolts here and there showing rust, should I rpelce them right off. I need your advice riders, im new to the sport, raced bmx when i was like 6, raced motocross recently, but Im new to the sport so whatever you can tell me would be great.
If your brakes/derailleurs work OK after the necessary adjusting, there really is no need to replace cables. That's a great bike, you'll have fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

right now my bike wont shift in every gear wiht the rear derailer, it feels like the indexing on the shifter is out, this is fixed by tuning the derailer right? Ok forms those of you in the knw, how much on average do you think this list would cost,

adjust rear derailer, front and rear disc brkes etc..
true front and rear wheel, and disc if needed
put two new chainrings on (were removed for bash guard and dont have them)
install new fork (star nut already on forks)
replace a few fastners: on disc brakes where they mount to frame, misch here and there.

·
lurker no more
168 Posts
I'd get the wheels trued and spoke tension checked too...

If the rims have a blip/bulge or is flat in spots and the spoke tension isn't right it could be asking for trouble. Afterall, your wheels are what you're riding on. I'm not sure on the cost for those services, however.

I wouldn't worry about a little rust either unless it's in a area that takes a lot of stress or if the rust has corroded the metal all the way through. What on earth is rusty? The chain? I thought most bikes these days were made of aluminum.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just some bolts

the only thing rusty is some bolts, that connect my disc brake to the frame, and other small misc. bolts, i just thought getting these rusty bolts out would be good idea to keep the bike easier to maintain, not having bolts seize in holes etc. the wheels seem to be out of true, but im not sure. THe bike i purchased was used for dirt jumping hence the bash guard it has on the bike instead of chainrings, it also has a beefier front rim than what came stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rust

If you just have rust on bolts that aren't doing heavy support it doesn't really matter. That being said, if they aren't rusted through and just on the surface, you can get a brass brush to take the rust off. It will look a lot better. But if they're important ones and rusted through, replace them.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
blackyz125 said:
right now my bike wont shift in every gear wiht the rear derailer, it feels like the indexing on the shifter is out, this is fixed by tuning the derailer right? Ok forms those of you in the knw, how much on average do you think this list would cost,

adjust rear derailer, front and rear disc brkes etc..
true front and rear wheel, and disc if needed
put two new chainrings on (were removed for bash guard and dont have them)
install new fork (star nut already on forks)
replace a few fastners: on disc brakes where they mount to frame, misch here and there.
At my shop

Basic tune up: $20
adjust shifting, braking, air pressure, and safety inspection

Wheel True: $10-$20 per wheel depending on serverity

Chainrings: $10-$15

Fork: that depends if u need the steer cut. I'd say no more than $20

Fastners: Free

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help

everyonne thanks for the input, Im looking forfward to rididng, i just want a decent bike to start with. If ya have anymore beginning riding tips please leave them here on the forum, I have 0 experience, mostly single track around here, but we do have some elevated trails now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.