Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
People of zee wurl,Relax!
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first SS ride today. Before spending $ on a new bike I decided to convert my Gary Fisher Big Sur. I'm running 32/18 with a Gusset converter on the rear and just the middle chainring up front. This bike is really fast. I normally ride a 5" full suspension bike and I have never climbed this fast before. I passed a guy on a full suspension bike at the top of the hardest climb. The only thing I missed while riding was the ability to do drops and jumps. I am looking at buying a Redline Monocog and just curious if anyone feels comfortable jumping with it(or any steel rigid bike). I imagine a fully rigid steel bike will be a lot more rugged than my very light Gary Fisher just because of the steel factor. I think I'm hooked on SS. I'm waiting for the Redline Monocog 29er to come out but I don't know if the big wheels will make it even harder to catch the occasional jump. I'm not into really big jumps but every now and again it's fun to get some air under the wheels. Anyways, this singlespeed thing is fun. I don't know why I ever used my granny gear, I now know I don't need it at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
People have been doing drops and jumps on hardtail singlespeeds much longer than they have on full suspension bikes.

·
Registered
920 Posts
FWIW, on the MonoCog, a 130mm suspension fork doesn't make it handle too sketchy, at speed at least. So, a plush fork may take the hit off bigger drops if you're concerned about that. I'd at least look into an adjustable travel fork for climbing, slow-speed or technical stuff (or if you're heavy) where you can keep the travel under 120mm...but then extend it back out to 130mm for downhill sections or drops.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Rugged??

I a good steel hardtail should feel nice and plush not rugged.
I've got no compalints, but I've never ridden a FS or aluminum bike.

I do miss having front suspension on some of the teeth chattering rocky downhills.
But i would only want one that I could easily lockout for climbing.

Ride on.

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used to ride my friends fully rigid singlespeed out on the trails around here, and got hooked too. I did REALLY small stuff on it, like jumping off curb height stuff and never really had any problems, but i've never been much of a jumper. I'm in the process of building up a SS, so i'm hoping to have some of the same fun you have had on your ride soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.