Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my first SS and am rather new to real mountain biking in general. I'm building off an old Norco Bush Pilot (the black paint with teal and pink stickers makes me think late 80's). Right now i've taken it all apart and the frame and forks are primed. Right now i've run into this little issue: crankset. I'm in college, therefore money is hard to come by. Stock on the bike is an old biopace-sg...dang thing is riveted together. My question is this...if i get new bolts for it, can i dremel the old pieces out of it and use what i need to put it back together? I know i can just leave it as is and put the chain on the middle ring, but i'd rather it look like a single too if i can. Thanks for any help.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Biopace rings are not round...
I wonder if someone would want to buy them from you as is, so you could use something else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! now i just gotta get access to a bench grinder. I'm hoping i can cut off the inner ring while i'm at it, clean it up and make it look like its not stock from a bike thats the same age as me.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't think that you'd like Biopace rings on a SS IMHO.

I'd sell or junk the crankset and find something else. There's any amount of decent square taper stuff knocking around for next to nothing.
I've got some lying round that you'd be more than welcome to (but I'm a bit of a long way away unfortunately...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
from my time riding on the bike before i began this, i know i dont enjoy the biopace but i'm trying to work with what I have. Thanks for the help. If anyone see's this and has a non-riveted square taper crankset they wanna part with for not a lot of cash, i'm interested.

·
bike the planet!
47 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "not a lot of cash" is but you can pick up a brand new IRO SS crankset for about $80.

I've got a set of square tapered (cottered) cranks with a 52T chainring that I'd give you for the cost of shipping. I have the spindle for them, but the BB cups are trash so you'd have to use your current cups or find some off another old bike.

Edit: I just noticed you want this for a mountain bike, not a road bike. My bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortuantely, $80 is a little beyond what i have right now. I'll save up and put on better parts as i go over the next several months, but i'm looking for something to work with for now. I found a lead on a guy at the LBS that i think may give me a set but i'm still looking just in case. I've been watching ebay and keeping an eye on things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.