Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was riding my local trail today coming around a turn on a single track in a creekbed. I was looking ahead and there was about a 3' dark silver snake in the trail. I had no time to slow down. I must admit i panicked for a split second but then i realised i should just hold my line or fall on the snake. Lucky for me the snake was quick to clear the trail and we parted ways. I've always knew this would happen and did not look forward to this as I have a snake phobia but, i guess it wasn't as bad as it could of been still scared the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the second time we hit the trails my son was ahead of me. as I crossed the dry creek bed I hear "SNAKE!!!!" he was running back toward me. he dumped the bike and came running. I hate snakes, so I told my son that it was more scared of him blah, blah, blah. then he retrieved his bike carefully and we were on our way. That's one thing I'll never forget!

·
Registered
122 Posts
snakey situations

I also can not stand snakes. A few weeks back my 8 yr old son and I were riding on a single track in San Diego when he stops at the top of the hill. I ask him what was wrong and he says, "rattlesnake". It was a small one but big enough to take up the whole single track and it definitely was a diamondback. We waited a minute and it slithered off into the tall grass. After that, I did not stray much from a single track.

I will also always remember riding my motorcycle on a fire road and coming full speed around a corner with a snake taking up the whole road. Nothing to do but just keep going. I looked back to see the snakes head and tail in the air and then it slithered off.

I guess it is only a matter of time until I see another.

Dave

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
I've only run into small (4-6") snakes on the trail (and fortunately there are no poisonous snakes here) but I got a little unnerved the other day when I ran across a snake skin on the trail, since it was about 2 feet long.

Although I don't have a snake phobia, they always scare me because I usually don't see them until I'm right by them and they move suddenly.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've only encountered two snakes in about 13 months time (since I started mt. biking). The second was probably some garter snake or something and slithered off quickly when my pack rode by. The first is the picture attached from Schabarum Park in So. Cal. I was so scared when my riding partner pointed it out. It was spawled in the middle of the track just sunning away. Eventually, it got tired of us staring at it and slithered off also. I took this shot as it was going off into the brush. Keep in mind I was shaking the whole time but I knew I had to get this shot.

Attachments

·
I play hard to want
360 Posts
onegymrat said:
I've only encountered two snakes in about 13 months time (since I started mt. biking). The second was probably some garter snake or something and slithered off quickly when my pack rode by. The first is the picture attached from Schabarum Park in So. Cal. I was so scared when my riding partner pointed it out. It was spawled in the middle of the track just sunning away. Eventually, it got tired of us staring at it and slithered off also. I took this shot as it was going off into the brush. Keep in mind I was shaking the whole time but I knew I had to get this shot.
I'm really glad we don't have snakes like that around here. One look at it and you can tell it's pure evil :eekster:

·
Registered
525 Posts
What kind of snake is that in the picture?

I feel for ya'll out west and in other parts of the country with much more variety of snakes. Living in Atlanta the usual snakes you will see are gardner snakes, black snakes, etc...all no threat to humans. We do have copperheads and water moccassins...so those are scary...and I guess there are rattlesnake's in Georgia too...but I don't think they are as widespread as the above.

I have ridden over one snake in my 7 months back in the saddle...it was a baby...only about a foot long...I was climbing and not looking at the ground...was looking about 20 feet ahead and all of a sudden looked down at my pedals and there was a tiny snake going under my back tire...I think it had been injured by a few other riders possibly b/c it didn't do much when I ran it over.

My buddy and I were riding about two months ago and he was leading (sometimes it pays to be the slower rider) and he came around a corner on some single-track and a snake was on the path. He slammed on his brakes and the thing freaked out and fliped and flopped down the side of this hill...

I HATE snakes!! The problem with the single track in and around Atlanta is with all the roots...it is almost impossible to see a snake until you are right up on one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just really don't like snakes...I think they are more prone to be seen in early spring when they are first coming out...that is the one plus to winter riding...no worries of snakes on the trails!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yeah...I have seen enough nature shows to know that snakes are not "evil"...but it still doesn't stop me from freaking out when I see one...

Actually...I take that back...Water Moccassin's are evil...they will come after you...where as most snake's will flee

·
Registered
108 Posts
i've only seen garder snakes on the trails. And hopefully that will be the extent of my snake encounter...

i heard that copperheads stiffen up like a pole and fling themselves in the air at you..... with enough force to smash a window...:eekster:

happened to an uncle of mine in pennselvania.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
wacopacco said:
i heard that copperheads stiffen up like a pole and fling themselves in the air at you..... with enough force to smash a window...:eekster:

happened to an uncle of mine in pennselvania.
Bwwaaaahhaaaahhaaa haaaa ! LMFAO !

Did your uncle tell you that after his first bottle of Jack?

I suppose if you froze the sucker, jammed it down the barrel of
a 12 guage shotgun and launched it with a shell that had all the
BB's removed it might break a window........... !

ROTFLMFAO...............

Sorry, that's great... Wheww..... I needed that....

ODN

·
Registered
33 Posts
In my 4 weeks of riding i have encountered two snakes.

one was a 3 foot rattlesnake that a saw from far enough away a was able to stop about 15 feet away from and wait for it to cross the road. I almost stopped riding after that.

yesterday i was pedalling with my head down and when I looked up i say a 1 foot yellow snake and it scared me bad, i tried to jump it but i don't think i got the back wheel off the ground. by the time i looked back it was half way into the bushes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Man...I would FREAK if I saw a friggin' rattlesnake on the trail!!

I wonder what would actually happen if in the event a rattlesnake was on the trail...and a rider didn't see it and ran over the snake? Do you think:

A: The snake would have the speed and still get out of the way of a rider bombing through a trail...

B: The snake would get run over and do nothing and then snake away...

C: The snake would upon getting run over a section of his body turn and attempt to strike at whatever he could...

I get friggin' goosebumps just thinkin' about that freaky situation...

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Last summer I rolled over a "common European viper", which is not particularly dangerous and is actually a protected species.

It was just sun bathing on a dirt road and I realised too late that it was not a stick. I suppose there was a split second of shock for seeing a snake so I did not even manage to try hopping over the poor thing.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.