Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished my Kona Unit singlespeed on Saturday and took it out Sunday for the first time. My gearing is 32 x 20 and I knew that the one mile ride to the trail wouldn't be too much fun and it wasn't at 13 mph. But, once I hit the trail it all changed, even on the icy Long Island trail with the wrong tires (RR front/Karma rear) I had a ball. Flowing through the singletrack; nice. Hills that I had to work on with gears; I had to work on again with singlespeed but not harder. It left me smiling at the top. Lack of front suspension, with 20psi in the front I hardly noticed it. I was out in 15 degree weather and didn't want to come home. Saturday I was out on my Niner with FS and 1 x 9 for 2 hours and went home frozen. Sunday on the Kona; 3 hours, a little faster average speed, and nice and warm.

The plan was to ride the singlespeed all winter to get stronger and race the geared bike next season but I'm afraid the Niner might be getting pretty dusty next year in the garage!

Attachments

·
The Unbeliever
97 Posts
Wow. SSing is so transformative, it even keeps you warm in frigid conditions!

·
Registered
61 Posts
nice bike. building a surly 1x1, but seriously considered kona unit. i decided to stick with 26 inches because i am 5'5 and have heard mixed reviews on short people with big wheels. diggin' the unit though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts