Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just built my first singlespeed. Most everything was a closeout or on sale special. While it wasn't a total bargain build, I did manage to keep the cost under $900. I feel that's not too bad considering every single part is new.

The frame: An 20" IRO Highlander singlespeed mountain bike frame.
Fork: 2004 Marzocchi 120 MX Comp ETA
Headset: Cane Creek S-2
Handlebars: Sun/Ringle XC Evolution risers
Grips: Oray's
Brake levers: Avid FR-5
Stem: Easton EA-50
Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide
Bottom Bracket: FSA ISIS Platinum Chromoly
Cranks: Truvativ Stylo, I keep the 32 tooth and bought some BMX chainring nuts.
Chain: SRAM PC-58
Freewheel: 18 tooth Dicta BMX thread on style freewheel
Brake cables: Avid Straight Jacket
Front brake: Avid Mechanical disc
Rear brake: Avid Single digit 7 V-Brake
Front Wheel: Velocity VXC black disc rim laced 3 across with Wheelsmith double butted spokes and Silver Wheelsmith alloy nipples to a Ral disc hub and some cheap skewer.
Rear Wheel: Mavic X221 with eyelets laced three across with Wheelsmith double butted spokes, alloy nipples on the non drive side and brass on the drive side laced to a Summit bolt on singlespeed mountain hub.
Tubes: Performance Lunalites.
Rim strips: Velox
Tires: IRC 2.1 Mythos
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candy SL

I've only bombed around the niehborhood so far, although I can't wait to hit the trails on it. The niehborhood ride was a blast!

Comments please.

Juan

Attachments

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a Camelbak guy.

[Plus when I ride at night I also put my battery in the rear mesh pouch of my Hawg.

·
blame me for missed rides
789 Posts
the stylo triple ring might tend to drop the chain. if that happens either try run it backwards or get a ss chainring (surly just had their steel rings in stock)

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Stealthy and pretty

Nice bike you can never go wrong with a stealthy black singlespeed. Good fork choice, but is 120mm length supposed to be OK with that frame? You will like the ETA feature when you point it up a hill.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Looks great.
The IRO was on my shortlist before I bought my 2nd hand Surly.
Was this one of the $69 ebay models??

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called IRO and the told me...

the frame was designed for a 455 mm rigid fork or 100 mm Suspension fork. I asked the about running a 120 and the said it would be fine, just not to go any longer. With about 20% sag dialed it, it steers just as well as my Superlight with an 80mm fork. Plus I only paid $195 new for the fork, real hard to pass up at that price although the guy I bought it from only had 120's.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, at $69 how could you go wrong.

toowoombarider said:
Looks great.
The IRO was on my shortlist before I bought my 2nd hand Surly.
Was this one of the $69 ebay models??
The only difference between those and the ones that they sell online at IRO is the Ebay models don't have the stickers on them.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I flipped and flopped between it and the Surly.
In the end I was offered a disc ready Surly frame, fork and wheelset for a great price and went for it.
Also I was watching the IRO's on ebay and basically thought they must have been sold after I saw 2 of them sell in as many weeks and the advertisement said that they had an 18" and a 20".
Again, very nice.

·
SS Addict
55 Posts
Nice rig! I ordered a 20 incher also, which should arrive Wed. I am rounding up all the bits for it, which brings me to a truly trivial question. Did it come with a seatpost collar?

Be sure and send a picture and description to www.irocycle.com and they'll give you a free t-shirt.

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
nice

Under $900 for everything is exceptional money management on your part. The bike itself is very sweet man. You can use it as a trails bike if you wanted too with that low gearing. Plus, good idea on not being anal about disks both front and back. Just having one up front will definitely give you enough stopping power...Sweet sweet bike man!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No seatpost collar included.

I just went to the LBS and picked up one out of his cast off bin for $5.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First real ride won't happen until later in the week.

I have to travel about 30 mninutes to get to the closest trail and I had to go out of town this weekend for a family reunion. I will definitly post a ride review.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts