Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second Stumpjumper 29er Comp, I had a 2008 and loved it, but the changes to the 2010 make it even better.

Stock:

Upgrades: 2010 Reba Team 20mm
Stan's 355 laced to Hope Pro IIs (built by me :thumbsup: )
Avid Elixir CRs
E.13 33T Chainring in Red
E.13 XCX guide
S-Works Cages
Spesh Speedzone Computer (from 08 SJer)

23.8 lbs with No Carbon at all.

More Upgrades to come...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sweet Stumpy Comp 29 Project!

Thanks for posting, nice set of pics to go with it. I am about to joint the 2010 Stumpy Comp 29 family too, once they start building and shipping the 23s, would be interested in your thinking behind each of the changes you made.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
matmattmatthew said:
Oh crap! you're right. I guess I meant no Carbon "parts"... I should also confess I have carbon headset spacers...:p
- Your brake levers are too pal. ;) Nice bike.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Out of the box the bike was almost 25lbs on the dot. I think it was just a hair over.

The Reba Team with the 20mm was actually a quarter pound heavier than the SL but I wanted a 20mm so the extra weight was negligible.

I love the simplicity of the 1x 9, I raced DH and slalom for a few years so I haven't owned a bike with a front derailleur in years. For the first few months I had the bike I hardly ever got out of the middle ring and I did drop a chain a few times so I thought I would simplify things. I ride the bike as if it were a slalom bike, jumping and pumping every little hill, rock and root.

I love the way the bike rides, it's not overly complicated, over engineered or gimmicky. I like bikes that get the job done without too much fuss and I think this bike does it very well. I thought that I would like the bike if it had a slightly slacker HA so when I put the Reba Team on I left it at full travel (120mm) for the first ride but I didn't like the way the bike felt, especially climbing. I took the fork apart and put in the travel spacer to reduce it to 100mm and the bike feels great now. My only current gripe with my setup is the Tires. I put S-Works Captain's on for the winter and I'm not sure if it's the tire or the fact that its been so wet but it seems like I just can't get them to grab as well as I'd like. I might also be running too high a PSI, 28ish. I might just be asking too much from non-DH tires...

·
Registered
430 Posts
In my experience wet = no good for the captains. You could drop the psi some and it might help. I changed to the Maxxis Ignitors for better grip on my Stumpy. I run 22 psi (stans tubeless) in the front and weigh 185 ready to ride.

Brian

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
blooper said:
In my experience wet = no good for the captains. You could drop the psi some and it might help. I changed to the Maxxis Ignitors for better grip on my Stumpy. I run 22 psi (stans tubeless) in the front and weigh 185 ready to ride.

Brian
I'm about 175 in riding gear so I guess I'll try dropping down a bit. I've had my eye on the Ignitors, good upgrade over the captains?

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
You owe it to yourself to try the new 29er Purgatory tire in the wet. I have not been on a better tire for the conditions we currently have been having here....wet soggy leaf covered singletrack. Go for the 2.2, you will thank me later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.