Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So instead of testing out the SS waters slowly, I junmped in with both feet. since I didn't have a donor bike for a conversion, I had to build a new one. Used a C-dale 1fg frame, left fork, some decent mavic rims, carbon bar. its geared with a 32-20. weighs in around 23.5 lbs or so. took it out Sat AM, on packed down snow. it was cold, around 10degrees. this was my first time ever on this SS. all I can say is I'm completely hooked. the hard tail was getting power to the ground much better than my FS Rush, and I love the simplicity of not having to think about gear changes. after a 15min single track climb, I swear a felt better and faster than on my geared FS. there was one small area of steepish climb with lots of roots that i could not clean. I always do on my FS geared bike, but on the SS ai needed to stand, and couldn't get enough weight on the rear wheel to get traction in the snow. My legs felt great, but I can definately see how the SS is going to help my leg strength. also, being 6lbs or so lighter than my SS makes s big diff. one negative is that I'll probably be a bit sowler on flats and declines with a 32-20. at some stage I'm sure I'll end up with an 18

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
bauerb said:
So instead of testing out the SS waters slowly, I junmped in with both feet. since I didn't have a donor bike for a conversion, I had to build a new one. Used a C-dale 1fg frame, left fork, some decent mavic rims, carbon bar. its geared with a 32-20. weighs in around 23.5 lbs or so. took it out Sat AM, on packed down snow. it was cold, around 10degrees. this was my first time ever on this SS. all I can say is I'm completely hooked. the hard tail was getting power to the ground much better than my FS Rush, and I love the simplicity of not having to think about gear changes. after a 15min single track climb, I swear a felt better and faster than on my geared FS. there was one small area of steepish climb with lots of roots that i could not clean. I always do on my FS geared bike, but on the SS ai needed to stand, and couldn't get enough weight on the rear wheel to get traction in the snow. My legs felt great, but I can definately see how the SS is going to help my leg strength. also, being 6lbs or so lighter than my SS makes s big diff. one negative is that I'll probably be a bit sowler on flats and declines with a 32-20. at some stage I'm sure I'll end up with an 18
Welcome to the dark side...

Please post some pics of that sweet SS! :D

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Yeah, me too! I've ridden mtn bikes for over 15yrs and have a big specialized enduro with tons of suspension. Then I decided to try this SS thing out and bought a MC Flight 29er.

I've had it for about a month and haven't touched my enduro since. I've lost over 10lbs and my legs are twice as big. I'm completely hooked.

I'm riding more now than ever before and my wife and I are getting in fights over how much time I'm spending on this thing. :D

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
See I read this then am too afraid to try the SS thing, may get hooked, that would be great, but a pain also...........

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
I've been biking for a looong time,and I'm on this SS 29er Rigid kick in the worse way(first time every thing SS)I can't decide what bike..SS Mary, Redline,Surly. Any help?.
Sooo - the Nicolai is just gathering dust now??;) CF, knowing you, I suggest getting the best you can afford right out of the box. The Surly, Redline and Mary are all great bikes - I'm on a Redline Monocog 26er myself and love it - with the Surly Instigator fork I can even run a 29er wheel up front for a 69er if I want to piss off PVD. Knowing how you are always in search of that top end ride, I'm thinking you need a Jones or a Retrotech or a Dean

·
Registered
220 Posts
CRAZY FRED said:
I've been biking for a looong time,and I'm on this SS 29er Rigid kick in the worse way(first time every thing SS)I can't decide what bike..SS Mary, Redline,Surly. Any help?.
I started another post yesterday about a similar topic. I'm looking specifically at the Redline Monocog 29'er. (I think that's also the name of the thread). Check it out for some feedback. I think I'm going to buy it on Thursday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.