Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished setting up an '09 Mojo (nuclear pesto). I'm coming from an '03 Santa Cruz Heckler, which was a pretty good trail bike.

I rode a local trail that has a pretty good mix of rocks, roots, log piles, and some decent descents and climbs. When I first got going, I frankly wasn't that impressed with the bike. It felt marginally better than the Heckler, if at all, and really didn't seem to be soaking up the roots very well. So, for the first part of the ride, I was relatively grumpy - why did I pay for this thing when the Heckler is just as good?

After playing with the rebound on the RP23, I took relatively challenging climb with my friend behind me. I still wasn't all that impressed until I turned around and he was way behind me, panting to catch up. For the next few minutes I become continually more impressed with how the bike took jumps and corners, and started to warm up to it. However, a downhill section near the end of the ride sealed the deal. It's a relatively straight shot with lots of rocks and roots, and on the Heckler I had to dab the brakes most of the time to prevent myself from being rattled to death. On the Mojo, I just let off the brakes and went. I smoked my buddy, and really didn't notice how rough the trail was at all.

I took the bike out again yesterday, and man, it rocks. I'm faster everywhere, and at least now I can no longer use the bike as an excuse. The lightness of the bike is a huge plus all around - even when jumping off things, it's so much easier to throw a little table-top in. Very glad I made the purchase. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
i'm making the same transition. '03 heckler with rp3 and vanilla 125 to a mojo sl with rp23 and float 140 up front. one more week to wait!!!

·
Curmudgeon
210 Posts
So where is your test track? I see you're favorite place is ECdM, did you do your initial riding up there?
I got a demo Mojo from THC in San Jose last summer and rode the snot out of it at Skegg's (Resolution, Manzanita, Blue Blossom, and others). No need to test other brands, the Mojo is the perfect bike for that type of trail riding. Built mine AM style and could not be happier. :D

Cheers,

-S

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shif said:
So where is your test track? I see you're favorite place is ECdM, did you do your initial riding up there?
I got a demo Mojo from THC in San Jose last summer and rode the snot out of it at Skegg's (Resolution, Manzanita, Blue Blossom, and others). No need to test other brands, the Mojo is the perfect bike for that type of trail riding. Built mine AM style and could not be happier. :D
Looks like I forgot to update my profile :). I moved to North Carolina about 6 months ago, so I'm riding a few local trails here in Chapel Hill. Wish I was back riding Skeggs, I miss it so much.

For all-mountain riding I always heard the Mojo is hard to beat. I wanted a 5.5-6" bike with a well-tested suspension setup, and the Mojo seemed like a no brainer. Happy to say that it seems to be living up the hype.

I also have Spinergy Xyclone wheels on the Mojo with the updated Hadley internals, and they seem to make a difference when flying over rocks too.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Glad you're happy you made the right choice. I think nowadays, most bikes are probably impossible to differentiate the ride qualities on the tamer, less technical areas. It's when you hit the harder stuff....the stuff that matters....the stuff that you look forward to, that's when the better bikes will shine through and the Mojo is one of the best for what it's designed for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts