Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first ride on the T29 and I was impressed with the overall ride quality, this bike rolls over crud ,rock gardens, roots, all without any effort. At 28 lb it climbs very well and fast berms feel like the bike is on rails. The angles are phenomenal and the bike is very nimble in tight turns. However I can truly feel the flex in the rear, off camber sections, 45 degree roots and abrupt change of direction and you can really feel the rear end noodle out. I will have it out on some real tough off camber trails on Wednesday, the infamous don valley ridge trails. This should be the acid test for this frame. This is my first VP bike so I guess there has to be a adjustment period before I can get comfy on the bike. Time will tell .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right from their site:

REAR AXLE SIZE 10X135QR, 12X135/142

Hope that helps. I'm building a T29 up right now with that wheel set. Really think the Thru-axel is the way to go.

Z
I know the 2011 version is convertible but I don't know if mine is 2011 or 2010
I will check with the lbs I got them from
In any case I will order the 142 drop outs

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dialed the bike further last night and this evening I took it for another spin
Wow it was unbelievable . This bike just builds confidence it eats up terrain and spits out fun
The main change I made was the headset. I changed the stock inset to a king headset this razed my head tube by 15 mm and put the Geo closer to where it should be in turn it loaded the rear end further and the bike just settled in it's intended sag.
I do like the 5.5 setting much better. The rear is more leniar then progressive. And much smoother in it's travel. Now I think I will spend another 5 to 600 dollars and brin it down to 27.lb

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know the 2011 version is convertible but I don't know if mine is 2011 or 2010
I will check with the lbs I got them from
In any case I will order the 142 drop outs
10/11 yrs are identical, you can buy the 142 drops for 150-160. Need to get the hubs converted too.

I already have the 135 with 10mm axle instead of qr, it is very solid and i am not convinced that going 142/12 will make it that more noticeable. Maybe you should check that option first.

Impressive weight, anything under 30 is a feat. I currently stand at 34

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's great that your fine tuning your rig. Does anyone have any pics or videos of them killing it on a T29. I know this bike is still making it's way out onto the trail but I have only seen one video of people test riding it on some XC trail. I would love to see some one popping off jumps or railing Berne or being somewhat aggressive on this thing. If anyone has something that has them on their bikes I would love to see this thing in action.

Z

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's great that your fine tuning your rig. Does anyone have any pics or videos of them killing it on a T29. I know this bike is still making it's way out onto the trail but I have only seen one video of people test riding it on some XC trail. I would love to see some one popping off jumps or railing Berne or being somewhat aggressive on this thing. If anyone has something that has them on their bikes I would love to see this thing in action.

Z
I will have some for you on sunday if weather permitting, I am going to take her to the shilled
Buck wallow and Porcupine Ridge. There we can really stretch this baby out

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It Rained all day so I could not go to Buck wallow but we went to Kelso and stretched it out a bit.
everything was slick and slippery but we still had a blast here is a small drop the only thing I Voided, It is a 2 foot ramp and a solid 3 foot drop . but we did hit some great rock gardens and the bike was incredible.
I did not get to ride it because my Brother took it for a test and would not give her back. He loved this Bike

I will try to get the movie uploaded its not working now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.