Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a Trek/Fisher demo on Sunday I was able to spend an hour and a half on a Superfly. I've been lurking here for a while and have been really interested in picking up a 29er so the no hassle demo was a great way to give one a shot. My impressions kept to the point were, ton of fun, extremely fast both up and down when the trail is relatively smooth, takes a trail with a loose gravel type surface and turns it into glass, carries speed much better than a 26er, handling was fantastic in all areas (including a very tight windy trail) except for steep uphill switchbacks where you really need to exaggerate your weight transfer to the uphill/outside of the bike exiting the turn, great stability, etc. It was everything I had heard from others without the complaints of poor handling in windy terrain and sluggish climbing (didn't notice much of a difference compared to my Scott Spark with light XC wheelset). One other comment is that yes this is a hard tail and rides like one. So in the end, super fun with no serious complaints. Can't wait to add a big wheeler as a daily riding option.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
That's it, you need to go out there and taste one.
I envy you, I have yet to get me some superfly action, despite 2 friends owning them in the correct size.
Glad to hear you found your experiences in line with what this forum's been putting out there.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i the last time i spent serious time on the small wheeled bike was almost 10 years ago... i wish i had a 26er to compare with the big wheels :)... but even rigid they sure do roll over "stuff" nicely :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suffer fest - great poster! I think you would be fast on ANYTHING but good to hear. The questions now is how to get one with out getting a divorce:madman: . Time to eat the Ramen Noodles! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Suffer fest = great poster! I think you would be fast on ANYTHING but good to hear. The questions now is how to get one with out getting a divorce:madman: . Time to eat the Ramen Noodles! :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
No, but you just illustrated the other end of the equation quite nicely eh? Wheel size does make a difference, but price point makes just as much if not more of a change in the overall package!

I would expect a $6000 26" full suspension to ride quite nicely too. And probably a better tool than some bargain basement 29er.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Deme Moore said:
No, but you just illustrated the other end of the equation quite nicely eh? Wheel size does make a difference, but price point makes just as much if not more of a change in the overall package!

I would expect a $6000 26" full suspension to ride quite nicely too. And probably a better tool than some bargain basement 29er.
I'd agree, my $5000 26" bike rides better than most 29ers . . . :D

SF, glad you got a chance for a extended ride. 29ers are a blast, especially hardtails.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.