Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First ride for 2009 this morning. A frigid 12 degree start with clear blue sky and bright winter sunshine. Trails for the most part had frozen solid underneath a light dusting of snow. Made for some interesting balance practice. I counted 4 falls in total with 3 times that many saves. 2 of the riders were enjoying brand new rides, a Santa Cruz Blur LT provided by SpeedGoat and a Specialized StumpJumper FSR 29 provided by Around Town Bikes. Here are a few pics and vids. Post up your New Years Day Ride....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heres a couple more pics from...

First ride on New Years Day 2009. In the picture in front of the lake you can see some of the wind farm off in the distance. The Nuke shots from first post were 180 degrees in the other direction. We enjoyed some good beer and "Boil O" after the ride!

Attachments

·
Happy Trails
1,177 Posts
28 degrees but sunny and clear in the Gambrill Watershed above Frederick, Maryland... but not so bad with no wind. My Specialized Defroster winter shoes made me very happy but the last ounce of water in my bottle FROZE. Anyone in Arizona or SoCal ride today ? How's the weather?

·
Registered
21 Posts
i had a lovely dry solo ride today,looped up some trails that i had wanted to put together for a while and didnt get lost either
oh and its only 35f degrees here

winter riding rocks i didnt have to clean my bike either

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I went out do do a 15km loop outside my house, but blew up in 13 minutes, so I went back home. I adjusted my cleats, and headed out again. I found a guy riding past my house, and we decided to hit a 7km climb. We got there, and just as I was accelerating at the starting point, my chain broke. I stoned it in place and we headed back instead.
Bad riding day, but I did a few LT jumps.

Edit: 2nd ride of the year: 100 km solo ride, much better than yesterday's

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice. We had the same low temps, 13 degrees, but the wind was whipping. It wasn't too bad in the woods. I'll probably get out tomorrow or Saturday. It's supposed to warm up to the 20's. Ski day Sunday, if it's not too windy.
Happy New Year

·
Registered
58 Posts
Happy New Year guys....I wish I had been able to join....but after working all night ( yep-we had all the drunken idiot rookies in the ER ) I was able to come home and find the house with no heat...then spent 4 hours trouble shooting and replacing the circulator pump....plus added shutoffs upstream and downstream so I dont have to drain the whole system again.....what a way to start off the year

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey everyone, checking in from OKC, Ok.
Had an awesome ride today, about 60 degrees, very little wind. Got about 20 miles or so in. Had to hit a couple trrails twice to do it though.
Capped it off with a few ***** Modelo's! Nice.
If anyone cares I'm loving the Mojo more every time I ride it!
Here's to wishing everyone a great 2009, and hopefully we'll all get out and ride as often as we can!
YZF571

·
Nothing to see here
891 Posts
Well, my New Year's Day ride was 10 miles on a paved path with the family around a local lake...but it was 65 degrees, sunny, and we were all in shorts and short sleeve shirts. The cost of living here stinks but these winter days are sweet.....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sorry, no pics.

It was in the 30's today and windy in SW Indiana (Evansville). My stepdad got me these Rocky Gore-Tex oversocks for x-mas and they are awesome! My feet stayed pretty comfy throughout the ride. They really block the wind well. I rode about 12 miles of urban. My turnaround point was at the end of our riverside path on the Ohio River. I watched the sun go down and then headed home. What a great way to start the year!

·
Currently in Exile
2,305 Posts
No new years day ride for me either. They high was 3F with wind chills around -20F. But as a bonus, it was the first day since Christmas that I didn't have to shovel snow! The bikes are all hiding in the Garage waiting for the spring thaw now. The XC skis are getting some love for the first time in a few years though.:thumbsup:

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Happy New Year, everyone!

And congrats, those-who-rode-with-JeffSkisMontana, on your new steeds. And on the fortitude to ride them in such cold temps!

It's been a balmy week in Austin. Been enjoying the out-of-doors, but with family time as the main focus. I started the year out with a trail run yesterday; will be heading out for a ride with a couple of friends this afternoon. (I bet you'll see some pics later...)

Hope everyone is able to enjoy what makes them happy as a way to start their year off right!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.