Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in riding tomorrow? I'm thinking of heading to the Rooney Rd lot in Golden for a ride tomorrow, oh, around noonish, or so. Anyone and everyone is welcome to come along...

And Happy New Year!

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
Debaser said:
Aldewhere?
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but assuming that you are, Alderfer / Three Sisters. It's a Jeffco open space park in Evergreen near the lake. Here's a link with trail information and driving directions to it. Don't let its locale fool you; because it's at lower a elevation, and in an area with a lot of decomposed granite, this park tends to thaw and drain very quickly. In fact, I find it usually ridable just about the same time MW is dry.

It was in great shape on New Years. A nice way to spend the day off from work if you haven't made other riding plans.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Debaser said:
Aldewhere?
what TVC said..... good spot. it's a bit of a haul getting there for us for the length of the riding, so i like to double it up by hitting bergen/elk meadows as well. hit one park, food break, then hit the other park.

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
scrublover said:
what TVC said..... good spot. it's a bit of a haul getting there for us for the length of the riding, so i like to double it up by hitting bergen/elk meadows as well. hit one park, food break, then hit the other park.
If you don't yet know about the Didesse Trailhead, check it out. It's an access trail into Alderfer, adds a couple of miles to the ride, and it's way fun singletrack. Look for the Didisse sign on Highway 74, before the lake, right when it turns from a 4-lane to a 2-lane.

It's not well marked with some spurs, but you can figure it out. Just keep riding towards Alderfer, eventually you'll dump in near that big rock.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
TVC15 said:
If you don't yet know about the Didesse Trailhead, check it out. It's an access trail into Alderfer, adds a couple of miles to the ride, and it's way fun singletrack. Look for the Didisse sign on Highway 74, before the lake, right when it turns from a 4-lane to a 2-lane.

It's not well marked with some spurs, but you can figure it out. Just keep riding towards Alderfer, eventually you'll dump in near that big rock.
i've hit it before, but only down. and then back up to my car at the main alderfer lot. next time i'll have to take it up, and down back to the car.

·
Now Uploading
1,110 Posts
Trees Down at Alderfer/Three Sisters

Didn't ride up the DMP Dideese connection from Evergreen, but rode just about everything else up there today. Alderfer/Three Sisters is in good shape, a bit of thin snowpack in places, mostly on Evergreen Mountain trail. There were two trees down across the trail, and one more leaning over it, you need to duck. These were on the way back down when you turn right and wind back down to the first smaller parking lot. I said was, because I chopped up and dragged the first tree off the trail. The second has already got a matted down shoo-fly around it, and the leaning tree is a little aways past that near the switchbacks. The remaining tree is too big to clear, so watch out when flying down. It's already been reported.

Cheers,

Dave

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info on Aldefer. Evergreen ends up being pretty far away when I'm thinking of rides. One of these days...

Yesterday was a bit of a disaster. Our New Year's Eve guests ended up spending the night so i wasn't out of the house til after noon. Then I forgot the correct tool to adjust my new shock. Rode Apex, it was mostly great.

Today at Horsetooth was fantastic. Hoping to post some pics from that later.

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
just chiming in

how do you shuttle evergreen?

I rode today and conditions are great for January. 50+ degrees, niice

It was my first ride of the year, and for a couple weeks, almost. I was jonesing to get out. Started from home, rode thru Bergen Park, along Meadow View in Elk Meadows, down the paved trail to Dedisse, then up to Evergreen Mtn loop (didn't hit the summit because I still had to get all the way home) and then back home. A four hour ride!, defintely needed that.

There are some ice/snow patches, but an easier pace and a lust to keep riding can keep you from attacking the trail your head or knee. Nothing that isn't ridable though.

I would recommend getting out there while you can.

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
goldenboy said:
There are some ice/snow patches, but an easier pace and a lust to keep riding can keep you from attacking the trail your head or knee. Nothing that isn't ridable though.

What he said. Which by the weather forecast looks like most of this week! Personally, I recommend hitting Alderfer/Didesse before Apex if you only have time for one. Apex has some fairly extended and thick ice sections, mostly in and around Enchanted, that messes with the flow of the ride a bit. It's ridable, just not ideal; that is, unless you really like riding on long sections of Zamboni ice. Which I don't. :D

On the upside, Chiminey is a go! It too has some icy spots but they're short and thin and nothing like what you'll find on Enchanted.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TVC15 said:
On the upside, Chiminey is a go! It too has some icy spots but they're short and thin and nothing like what you'll find on Enchanted.
Bummer for me! I like that climb a ton, would have hit it if I only knew...

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Yesterday, White Ranch. Belcher, Roundup, Maverick, Sawmill, Rawhide, Mustang. It was all great. A couple of ice patches on Maverick. Beautiful day and ride.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
goldenboy said:
how do you shuttle evergreen?

I rode today and conditions are great for January. 50+ degrees, niice

It was my first ride of the year, and for a couple weeks, almost. I was jonesing to get out. Started from home, rode thru Bergen Park, along Meadow View in Elk Meadows, down the paved trail to Dedisse, then up to Evergreen Mtn loop (didn't hit the summit because I still had to get all the way home) and then back home. A four hour ride!, defintely needed that.

we shuttled maxwell falls, and that was a mistake. ice for 5-6 miles straight. i laughed real hard when i passed two kids ice skating on the creek. the guys with dh tires still suffered but i had trail tires. everyone fell at least once i think.

on another note i did find two great winter shuttles in my neck of the woods (clear creek county). one xcish and one total dh/freeride. sweet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts