Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on my first MTB ride of the season on Saturday. The trails in New England are surprisingly dry for this time of year, and it was a great change of pace to be in the woods instead of on the roads!

I went out with my hubby and his friend for what they called "a casual ride". Keep in mind that both of these guys are riding fanatics with whom I can never even compare! We rode some trails close to the house that I know like the back of my hand (hubby and I built most of them). I just could NOT put anything together though. Legs wouldn't cooperate, and the brain wanted no part of anything technical!

I walked sections of trail that I KNOW I can ride. Seemed like everything out there scared me in a new way.... I made it through 17.5 miles, but I really need to get out there and ride those technical trails some more. Please tell me my confidence/ability will come back!!! I'm definitely going to be a wuss and blame it on the early season.....

SheFly

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Just an off day

They happen right? Some days the legs are jello, some days the trees leap into the trail. Plus if you are trying to keep up with the guys instead of enjoying and concentrating on your trail that could throw you off too. If you ride on your own, you should just go out one day and have a fun, no pressure day for yourself.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
I consider myself a pretty technical rider, and yes, it usually takes a few rides to get back in the groove again. Don't sweat it.

Take the time to work on stuff that is giving you difficulty. If you're on a trail and you goof a section, go back and try it a few times, don't just continue on your way. I know this is sometimes difficult when you're riding with others, but it is a huge help.

It comes back pretty quickly.

Good luck.

FRC

·
Banned
683 Posts
Everyone has their days....

Sometimes things just don't flow...and on those days, if you get worked up and stressed about it...they get worse. Just have fun, ride the easy stuff a little faster to practice speed work, then when the technical stuff comes focus on form...soon you will be in your groove again. Just remember mtn biking is fun and most of us do not get paid for it..so don't stress.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Don't fret: Yesterday I was out just having fun, and realized I broke my personal record not once but twice while doing laps!

The odd thing was, I was by myself and not thinking about "racing," but just trying to get used to the new log piles and steeper water bumps that we've just added. I had to check and re-check and re-re-check my watch to make sure I'd clocked my time properly, it was so odd.

BUT, it wasn't exactly my first time out there all season, either. I'm only just now cleaning the tricky sections that normally cause me to stop and walk.

·
Tracking up the place
627 Posts
My wife went out for group ride with us yesterday, My wifee had some issues as it was the 1st time in 2 years on any trail...She got to a point yesterday, w/o me being "@$$hole" for the day.. :p I encourgaed her, ( "despite the comment "I forgot how to ride a bike" )

she was taking a break -- my buddies behind me, and I take one stroke and move 10 inches and boom, a 1mph endo in front of the wife and all my riding buddies...and my squeaky horn says it all "EEEEEAAaaaaaaa"... My wife starts laughing my buddies all look at me, my face in the ground my bike behind me...I 'm laughing...Needless she got a little more motivated....then later in the ride she flats hard core, I change her tube (knowing she was frustrated at this point) and we all continue on....then down a steep with a bit of sand , she finds a sand snake, endos and wham, I here OWWWW OWWWWW...I stop --run up the hill, and check her out, place my hand on her gut ask a if she's ok and hear a few obsecenties..and to leave her be. She takes a moment or two and gathers her self-- sits up ...and says "That was cool."....

I love my wife she rocks...... :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
re-takes on group rides

FreeRangeChicken said:
Take the time to work on stuff that is giving you difficulty. If you're on a trail and you goof a section, go back and try it a few times, don't just continue on your way. I know this is sometimes difficult when you're riding with others, but it is a huge help.
And your REAL buddies will be totally understanding and cheer you on when you try a tough section again. I had a nice endo on a rocky downhill on Saturday and immediately said I was taking it back up the hill to ride it again. My buddies all encouraged me and 2 of them went back up with me to also re-ride it. One of them confessed later that he was pretty scared, but darn it, if I could wreck on it and re-ride it, he was going to at least try (he did fine).

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
MidAtlanticXCer said:
And your REAL buddies will be totally understanding and cheer you on when you try a tough section again.....
Exactly!!!

When I was starting out, my buddies and I would spend a lot of time re-riding stuff. We'd throw ourselves at the same obstacle over and over, trying to figure out how to get over/around/through the section. If it was something really sketchy, like a big drop off, we would spot each other.

My girlfriend is learning how to ride techy stuff now and I do the same thing with her. We go to a pretty technical local trail and specifically spend time working on various technical parts of the trail. She does the section over and over until she is ready to move on.

Learning technical mtb skills is like anything else. It takes practice to hone skills and maintain skills. If you don't use it, you lose it. Fortunately, they usually come back pretty quickly.

FRC

·
Registered
233 Posts
You certainly don't stink. You put time and effort into riding and into building trails for other folks to enjoy. That alone makes you a trooper. I was able to ride throughout the winter and trees still jumped in front of me from time to time and sometimes I still screwed up sections that I'd rode perfectly fine in the past. I can feel my skills diminish if I take even a week away from the bike, so if you've had a rough winter with little to no ride time you just have to trust it will all come back. And it will.

·
Homegrown
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the encouragement! I think I was just feeling down after that ride.... I am actually a decent technical rider - usually. Being out with the guys is more about being able to keep up than to practice technical skills!

My weekly women's rides start again for the season next week! This is a great forum for practicing all of the technical sections, and I'm sure that it will all come back in no time.

MallieD - you're right! Spent no time on the bike this winter so just getting some strength and power back will definitely help.

Thanks again for all of the kind words! I knew I could count on the Lounge regulars to understand.

SheFly

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
SheFly said:
My weekly women's rides start again for the season next week! This is a great forum for practicing all of the technical sections, and I'm sure that it will all come back in no time.
Let us know how the second ride goes! I bet much better than the first. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.