Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get my shiny new 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR to replace my Gaint hardtail and go riding the next day.

I know the Manitou Black elite fork has compression damping which is controlled by twisting the plastic cap on the left side of the schock according to the instructions. I do this and it's quite hard to twist, but twists anyway. However I noticed that I could see some threads and it seemed like the cap itself was coming off, however, I did not pay too much attention to this since I assumed it was normal and no knob part on the left side twisted.

The next day, I go riding and the frist group of roots I hit that are on a gownhill, the knob/sping cover comes flying out and hits me in the face, the spring also flies out. Some of the bottom threads on the plastic cup were stripped. When I tried to put the assembly back together, I there was a "top" knob that twised within the cap, but did not twist the first time I tried to adjust the fork. I put the fork back together after 15 minutes, but the spring was full of mud, etc and I just went straight back to the parking lot.

What should I do about this? It seems like there was a manufacturing defect since the first cap that was actually supposed to do the compression damping did not actually twist. On the other hand, it is kinda my fault since I twised it untill I could see a couple of the threads on the cap. Another question that comes up is what a cheap plastic part like that doing on a fork that has an MSRP of $500?

Would my LBS take care of it or should I call Asnwer products or Specialized? I worked all summer full time (I'm a student) to be able to afford this bike to just have it blow up in my face on the first ride. :mad:

Thanks in advance.

·
Penis Goat!
804 Posts
martynda said:
The next day, I go riding and the frist group of roots I hit that are on a gownhill, the knob/sping cover comes flying out and hits me in the face, the spring also flies out.
I'm sorry, but that phrase really had me cracking up. What a great mental picture!

If I were you, I'd take it to your LBS and explain the situation, and you should get either replacement parts or a brand-new fork. How is it your fault that the thing broke when you were trying to adjust it? Isn't that what the knob is there for?

I'll bet you were quite disappointed in that piece of crap. I hope you get it fixed to your liking.

Brian

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Companies that use plastic caps to hold the internals of their forks inside the fork should be taken out back and shot. Guess noone learned from rockshox mistake when they made plastic caps for their shocks too. ( do they still make em? I stopped using rockshuxx years ago)

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
There is some company I read about in a mag, I foger the name, who rebuild shocks and take out all the plastic stuff and replace it with stronger metal parts. Supposedly they do quite a good job. I will look for the article later and post some more info. But that does such about your fork and all. I am dissappointed with Specialized's quality and will not buy from them again. Half the parts on my 03 stumpy fsr comp were crap. The seatpost borke after like 2 rides, the wheels are crap (had to relace the rear one), the shock mounting bolt bent on me, etcetera. Maybe Its ok to buy the S-Works bikes from them, but to me, everything else is crap. The frame works like it is supposed to though, so that is good. They are also fun to deal with. Really nice people (cough cough ! @$$holes).

·
Unshaven Yak
503 Posts
I've seen the top caps/springs on both a Manitou Mach & a Rockshox Judy fully eject under compression with one sore nipple & a new hair-part to show for it.

Both were made of plastic. The threads just don't hold up & it's not like I took them off & cross-threaded them or anything, although both had been run with aftermarket hd springs replacing the oem elastomers for at least at least a year prior).

It's particularly amusing to me that both incidents occurred on my bikes, but to my friends, who I had loaned the bikes to (one same weight as myself, one much lighter).

I'm glad you posted this, I was almost ready to give Manitou another shot after years of avoiding their product....sounds like the same old stuff though. Also watch that knob that sits at the bottom of the leg, I find those periodically on the trails around here....I give them to my friends who have lost them!

·
Registered
322 Posts
my 2 cents

really, that is your fault and not manitou's. However, if you just bought a high dollar bike from a shop they should make it right for you (for free). Otherwise, what is the prupose of buying from a store vs. the internet. What is the point of a bike store if they can't give you some extra service like checiing the top of the compression adjustment to see if it spins correctly.

cptjack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a small update...

I went to my LBS today, the tech there was very surprised. He said that they had not heard of recalls, but now it's very interesting that silent recalls have been mentioned now. The LBS will call Manitou and hopefully will figure things out. Now I'm actually kinda kicking myself in the head for not getting an FSR Comp, which is $300 but somes with a Fox fork among a few other improvememnt.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I actually know a guy that happened to

steve3 said:
Actually, no joking, there was a CPSC recall not to long ago where the top cap on cheaper Manitou forks blew off and hit riders in the face, causing injuries.
The whole spring stack shot up, hit him in the face, and he beat it in hard.

I once found a complete Judy elastomer stack with top cap on a local trail. Gotta wonder about that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.