Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 2008 JET 9 frame built up today. I found enough in the parts bin that I only needed a fork and wheels. Scabbed the wheels from my AIR 9, mounted up a new pair of RR 2.25's, picked up a 2009 Reba SL, quickly threw the bike together, air'd up the shocks and headed to my favorite local trail. It's a perfect place for a new shake-down ride...a little bit of everything and I know the trail really well.

Riding the gravel access road to the trailhead, I thought the bike felt a little sluggish...odd, considering my digital scale read 26.37 pounds after finishing the build. I flipped on the pro pedal and it immediately felt stiffer and quicker. Cool.

I reached the trailhead, flipped off the pro pedal and eased into the first turn. That's the last time I eased anything for the next 45 minutes. This bike is fast....really, really fast. I was carrying more speed into corners and accelerating out of them faster than I ever have on any other bike.....cleaning logs, roots and rocks that I usually have to time just right to make. Every time I jumped on the pedals, the bike just took off. I launched so high off one little jump that I came down sideways, cartwheeled and then skidded on my back for what seemed like 5 minutes. Checked the bike first, then myself....everything seemed OK. I'm usually a little tentative after dumping it, but 30 seconds later I was back to it again...this damn thing just doesn't want to take it easy. Climbing was excellent and I continued bombing downhill sections with ease. I think my AIR 9 climbs a little better, but the JET is better for everything else. I've been a hardtail fanatic for years, but this bike changed my mind in less than an hour. And this was just out of the box....no tweaking the fork or rear shock. I can't wait to tune it further.

I'll probably leave this a 1 x 9 setup, but I'm thinking I'll switch to Juicy Ultimates, Ashima rotors, lighter pedals and a lighter bashring. The completed project should be dangerously close to 25 pounds. That, combined with getting my arse back in shape should make this bike even faster. Scary......

Attachments

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
Nice. It is a fun bike. I do wonder if the setup on the rear shock needs more tuning as you said. I never touched the Pro Pedal and it was very stable, almost harsh when seated and just pedaling. With PP on it felt like a hardtail. Niner did the setup for me at a demo tent.

·
Registered
560 Posts
What are you running in the front(chainring) 32 or 34? It just looks like you might hit the linkage before the bashguard, but I don't own a FS so who knows with sag and compression. Either way nice build, love the color, wish I got my Air9 in green.

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a RF 34t bashguard and you're right - it's not quite deep enough. Like I said...initial build was what I had on hand for parts, but the bashguard is on the list to replace very soon. I may mount up a buzzed 44t chainring if I don't find anything else to use.

·
Registered
532 Posts
This week I also had my inaugural ride. 08 Jet with a fox RP24 fork at 100mm. First ride was really harsh, had to fiddle some more. Second ride was much better. Handling is great. I think the hardest thing for me is that I've been riding a either a rigid SS or a CX bike for the last two years, and I feel like I'm going really slow on the Jet.

I wish there were a remote for the propedal switch.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
arkadi said:
I wish there were a remote for the propedal switch.
That would be yummy and convenient. The reach is not quite as easy as flipping the lockout on a fork and I do have trouble flipping and riding at the same time.:p

To the OP: nice bike!!!! sub 25 is doable with those tires on a JET.

BB

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

I agree that sub-25 would be doable if I went full-on divorce build (carbon cranks, ti bolts, etc) though I'm skeptical about some of the posts out there in the 22-23 pound range. There's nothing on this bike that isn't light already, except the pedals and brakes (soon to be swapped) and the final weight should be around 25.25....and that's with a 1630 gram wheelset. So again - not sure how much under 25 you could realistically go, or if it would really make any difference.

I was pleasantly surprised with the RR's - 530 and 538 grams. I was running a 2.4 front tire last season, but I already prefer these 2.25's. They seem to be a perfect match for this bike - light and fast.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Low 24's is pretty attainable without going stupid light. I got mine down to 24.75 and it would drop to 24.5 if I just changed out to some Racing Racing ralphs. I came from a 20.8lb single speed, so I could definitely feel the weight penalty on the climbs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Southy

Great write up on the Jet. Dumb question I have an Air 9 and am looking to purchase a FS 29 looking at the Jet.

Concern I have does the 3 inch travel seem sufficient between the Air 9 and Jet for the weight penalty difference. Other wise is there a large difference between the 2 bikes.

My Air 9 feels like a short travel 26 xc bike (epic) that I have so does the Jet 9, 3 inch travel makes a big difference between the bikes?

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
bikenut316 said:
Fox or 09 Reba? I currently own an older 38mm offset Reba which would be kind to my budget.
I'm running the older 80mm 38mm offset REBA on my JET 9. For me - it's purrrrrrrfect. Since you own one already - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend using it.

BB

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
BruceBrown said:
I'm running the older 80mm 38mm offset REBA on my JET 9. For me - it's purrrrrrrfect. Since you own one already - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend using it.

BB
I think the Fox is ideal but between the 08 and 09 Reba, I don't think there is a significant difference unless you are comparing the tru-axle version.

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm LOVING the new Reba. I ran a last generation Reba for the last 2 years and this new model is light years better. Lane changes are telepathic and it's way stiffer. I had planned on bumping it up to 100mm immediately, but I have to say...it rides awesome even at 80.

Beezer - compared to your AIR9 this frame is very similar in terms of handling, acceleration and climbing but I can carry more speed overall. It just soaks up every little bump, rock and root in the trail and is way more fun downhill. This isn't a long travel frame and doesn't feel like it, but it's WAY more compliant than any hardtail. The JET9 literally flies (sorry) down the trail compared to my AIR9. It's taken me a couple of rides now to stop bracing for impact whenever I run over roots at speed...stuff that would really sting on the AIR9 just gets soaked up now. It's really cool coming from a hardtail to this frame.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Reba at 80 vs 100

southy said:
I'm LOVING the new Reba. I ran a last generation Reba for the last 2 years and this new model is light years better. Lane changes are telepathic and it's way stiffer. I had planned on bumping it up to 100mm immediately, but I have to say...it rides awesome even at 80.

Beezer - compared to your AIR9 this frame is very similar in terms of handling, acceleration and climbing but I can carry more speed overall. It just soaks up every little bump, rock and root in the trail and is way more fun downhill. This isn't a long travel frame and doesn't feel like it, but it's WAY more compliant than any hardtail. The JET9 literally flies (sorry) down the trail compared to my AIR9. It's taken me a couple of rides now to stop bracing for impact whenever I run over roots at speed...stuff that would really sting on the AIR9 just gets soaked up now. It's really cool coming from a hardtail to this frame.[/QUOTE
I like my 08 Reba at 80 better than 100. The flex is more noticeable at 100. I wonder if the new Reba is stiffer at 100.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Dude, your Jet weighs less than my Air9. I think you are doing pretty good getting that bike at that weight. Anything less than 26 would be just awesome, but then again I you are probably riding a M or L.

·
mtb remember
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This frame is a Large and I agree....not going to worry too much about making it lighter. The rotors and bash ring are on the way, brakes will be in the near future. At that point, I'll be done. I think a sub-26 pound FS trailbike is plenty light enough.

·
Registered
347 Posts
1-bar, I would appreciate it if you could post a part list. I'm just curious where I could save more weight or if I just need a new scale.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
RiderInTraining said:
1-bar, I would appreciate it if you could post a part list. I'm just curious where I could save more weight or if I just need a new scale.
Here's a list for an XL sized JET 9.

Scale reads 25.28

1 - 20 of 24 Posts