Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is some first impressions of the Panaracer 29 x 2.35. I've never used a tire this big before, and can't say I'd race with it, but figured I'd experiment with them over the fall and winter.

Just as an FYI- I've only ever used Maxxis Ignitor 29ers before and I have them on Salsa Delgado/XT wheels built up at Bikeman.com and the air pressure set at 35 psi. I have the rear rolling the same as the front and not in the direction recomended by the sidewall.

Yesterday was the first ride on the Panaracer Rampage 29 x 2.35s. They left a pretty good first impression. They seemed to corner very well in the fall leaves, dug in nicely on the climbs and they didn't feel as heavy as I thought they would. They didn't fair well on some of the wet clay/dirt corners of my local trail system, but then again I've yet to run ANY tire that could dig into that stuff.

They shinned at making me feel like I had some added suspension. The big balloon tires, aired up to 35 psi seemed to soak up whatever the Dos Niner's Reba (80mm) and Salsa Relish (1") shocks didn't, and added some extra cush. Folks who run full ridgid 29ers are gonna love these tires.

Didn't have any clearance problems with the mud and leaves. On one service road climb I had the Reba locked out and was standing on the climb and I swear I felt the tire rub. I tried to replicate it a few more times during the ride and didn't notice anything, so it MAY have bee my imagination or some mud/gravel rubbing. I'll be keeping an eye on it on future rides.

On pavement they peformed as you would expect a knob headed 2.35 tire to perform. Little loud and a little sluggish. Would not be my first tire choice for a race like the Wilderness 101 or Mohican 100, that include road and forest road sections, but they rocked in the dirt and rock.

This is only ONE 2 hour ride, so I have no final comment on them right now. Hope to get more in the coming weeks. But I am impressed with them so far.

It's cool to have some knobbier options for 29er tires.

jm

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compared to Ignitors...

The Ignitors roll faster on roads and hard pack for sure, but if you're on a trail the demands a more aggressive tire, than I look at the rampage. If you ride mostly hard pack than I'd stick with the Ignitor, I think it's a great tire in both 26 and 29". The thing I like the best about the Rampage right now is it seems to add a bit of cush to the ride. Hope to get more trail time in the coming weeks to offer a better comparison.

Good luck

j

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
jasondean said:
The Ignitors roll faster on roads and hard pack for sure, but if you're on a trail the demands a more aggressive tire, than I look at the rampage. If you ride mostly hard pack than I'd stick with the Ignitor, I think it's a great tire in both 26 and 29". The thing I like the best about the Rampage right now is it seems to add a bit of cush to the ride. Hope to get more trail time in the coming weeks to offer a better comparison.

Good luck

j
That's pretty much what I suspected from the reviews I've read. Thanks. Maybe I'll start with just one up front. :)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I just came off Ignitors (1200mi) and went on to Rampages. They are slow as molasses. I'm running them in the arrowed direction. Maybe the rear in the 'reverse' direction should speed things up. The ign in back may be a good option.
Traction is a fair amount better than then ign in the rear.

Love the Rampage in the front though.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rensho said:
I just came off Ignitors (1200mi) and went on to Rampages. They are slow as molasses. I'm running them in the arrowed direction. Maybe the rear in the 'reverse' direction should speed things up. The ign in back may be a good option.
Traction is a fair amount better than then ign in the rear.

Love the Rampage in the front though.
Do me a favor an compare the Rampage to new Ignitors. It is hard to judge a new tire against a worn one.

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
rensho said:
I just came off Ignitors (1200mi) and went on to Rampages. They are slow as molasses.
from other reports, i've gathered the rubber compound is pretty soft, so that makes sense. The ignitors are fairly hard be I find the 'spikey' tread pattern helps a bit to compensate. None the less, I often wish for something a little softer when the rocks and roots here in NE get wet, as they often do!

I wish they made a UST version, i'll give 'em a shot with stans on my 819's but I may very well end up just using a tube if I really like them.:madmax:

oh BTW, I find the ignitors to roll pretty fast...

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I ran both Ign and Ramps with Stans from day one. Actually, I don't know how they roll/run with tubes in them. :)
I do have Stans rims.

In fairness to Shiggy's statement, I keep all the tread newness in mind. It does make a big difference when rolling with new edges on the tread blocks(I ride motocross, you learn this real quick). When the rear ign started to wear down, I swapped it to the front. That certainly helped climbing traction, and hurt cornering.

And yep, the igns are hard rubber. I'd say another 10 on the durometer scale than the Rampages. The Rampages are 10 harder than the Nevegals(dual compound).

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have been running my Rampages exclusively for the last month...

As they have worn (riding asphalt to the trail) they are rolling faster on the road, but definately losing some traction whilst cornering and during high speed braking on loose surfaces.

Once these wear out, the Nevegal is next!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
rensho said:
I have a good memory. :D
Conditions change and nobody's memory is that good. The worn moto tire anology is why I asked. Tires go "off" and they do it slowly enough that you do not realize how much until directly compared to a new tire.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
shiggy said:
Do me a favor an compare the Rampage to new Ignitors. It is hard to judge a new tire against a worn one.
Already done it... The new Ignitor that I tried out against the new Rampage....the Ignitor is quite a bit faster rolling, but lacks the absolute cornering grip of the Rampage, and also lacks the volume.

My biggest gripe against the Ignitor has always been it's volume...if it had the same sort of volume as the newer Rampage and Nevegal tires, it would be a pretty hot number.. :thumbsup:

I'm currently running a Rampage on the front and an Exiwolf on the rear of my SS. It's a pretty good combo.. :thumbsup:

Nevegals front and rear on my geared bike...the knobs have worn down a little now, and they are running faster. Yesterday I ran them at 20psi and felt the rear tire squirm on the tarmac in the corners on the way to the trailhead... :D

Little side slips at speed when cornering hard on the road... whoooooooooooooooo ! Good fun... :D

R.

·
2,811 Posts
That's what I did

Jwind said:
That's pretty much what I suspected from the reviews I've read. Thanks. Maybe I'll start with just one up front. :)
LOVE the Rampage once I'm on dirt, but riding to the trails the tire is a pig. As you can see from the pics there is an ignitor on the back still and the Rampage is a LOT beefier than the Ignitor. If you ride a lot of pavement too...the Ignitor is a much faster tire.

If you want big AND fast, check out the Specialized Resolution - I've got it on my geared bike and it's fatter than the Ignitor but rolls just as fast.

Attachments

·
Paste eater
3,722 Posts
Rainman said:
Already done it... The new Ignitor that I tried out against the new Rampage....the Ignitor is quite a bit faster rolling, but lacks the absolute cornering grip of the Rampage,
Now i'm really interested, as I really like the cornering ability of the igintor.

Rainman said:
My biggest gripe against the Ignitor has always been it's volume...if it had the same sort of volume as the newer Rampage and Nevegal tires, it would be a pretty hot number.. :thumbsup:
My thoughts exactly... It's a small 2.35.

Rainman said:
Nevegals front and rear on my geared bike...the knobs have worn down a little now, and they are running faster. Yesterday I ran them at 20psi and felt the rear tire squirm on the tarmac in the corners on the way to the trailhead... :D
20 PSI!:eekster: dang, that's pretty low! you must be on the lighter side? then again, I HATE tire squirm, it scares me to say the least...

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Jwind said:
20 PSI!:eekster: dang, that's pretty low! you must be on the lighter side? then again, I HATE tire squirm, it scares me to say the least...
I'm not that light ... i'm a short ... err...vertically challenged stocky rider in the 160lb range.

I just like to run low pressures because both of my bikes are HT's, the SS rigid, the geared bike has a Reba up front.

I tried running 20psi when I first tested the new Rampage and the Nevegals, but was getting rim-strikes over square-edged rocks, so I upped the psi to 25.

The trail I rode yesterday was pretty tame as far as rocks and ledges go, so I tried out the lower pressures again.

The extra cush and grip / traction was wonderful.. :thumbsup: but I could'nt normally run this low. 25psi seems to be my best all-round pressure for these new tires.

This gives me good traction and a pretty soft ride.

R.

·
old man riding!
189 Posts
I have just purchased some Rampages and I can't wait to get them on and go for a ride. I think where I live in Va they will be perfect. I have been running the exi's for a while now and I like there volume but not there lack of knob. They are great in the straights but a little sketchy in the turns with the loose rock around here I feel alittle out of control.The Rampages seem to have the cornering knobs I'm looking for..

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
My first impressions of the Rampage was it was a great cornering tire and it had a good ride, It was also very slow feeling to me. It is a very good tire but, it was just too much of a good thing. I went back to the Resolutions on one of my bikes and back to the Ignitor on the other.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Jwind said:
I was talking about the ignitors. I gathered that much about the rampages.
Really? :confused: The Ignitor is labeled as a 2.10
Jwind said:
Rainman said:
My thoughts exactly... It's a small 2.35.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts