Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a brand new Trek Fuel EX 7 last night. I woke up early this morning to join some friends for a pre-work ride. We sat around for the first 5 minutes admiring my new steed. Then we started up the trail, the first section is a steady climb. 500 feet into the ride I shifted to my largest cog in the back so I could keep the same pace as the guy in front of me. Then BING! BANG! RACHET! They guy behind me shouts, "OH ****!" My rear derailleur broke off and wrapped around my back cog. The guy behind me said the derailleur went into the spokes and bounced out. We sat around for about 5 minutes morning this travesty. I hoofed it back down to the trailhead. I'm fuming! :madmax:

Attachments

·
pedal pusher
2,234 Posts
Cant say that I blame ya there. Hope the shop is gonna take care of that for you.

Sean

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Well, sh!t happens. That is a sorry sight and sad to see. Sounds like your LBS did a bang up job adjusting the limit screw. I think they owe you but at the same time you have to take "some" responsibility to ensure everything is in proper working order. Take it back. If they'er stand up guys (or gals) they'll take care of you. If not, find a new LBS.

BTW, if you had a chain tool you could have converted to a single speed and ridden back. Sounds like it wasn't too long a walk, though.

P.S. Where's that spoke protector thingy when you need it?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if I should return this bike and go find a completely different bike or have them fix it? It seems like the consensus from my friends is this is a problem with the adjustments and not the bike itself.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He He... I was thinking that when I was walking my ass out to the trailhead.

"Self... yes... if you where really a man you would have bought a single speed and you will still be riding... "

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You won't have any luck trying to return the bike for a new one. That would be like expecting a new car because the wheel fell off from improperly tightened lug nuts and all that was damaged was the wheel and tire. The LBS should give you (and PROPERLY install) a new derailleur and hanger , check the spokes for damage and replace any that were bent or damaged, check the chain for damage and replace if necessary, check the stays for damage and touch up any paint that was damaged, check the cassette for cog damage and replace as necessary, check the cable and housing for damage and replace as necessary and, oh, put on a new spoke protector ;-).

If the stays were gouged deeply enough to compromise the frame then a new frame might be in order, subject to inspection by the manf. rep. but this is unlikely.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Nah, if you were really a man you would have whipped out your trusty multi-tool, removed the derailleur, cable and housing, shortened the chain and continued the ride on your new, and very expensive, SS.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Moral of the story: Always ride a new bike around the house a bit before hitting the trail. Go through all the gear combinations several times. Check out the brakes, make sure the headset/stem is tight and check wheel skewers.

These are good things to do rountinely anyway prior to hitting the trails.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't new bikes always come with a spoke protector? The limit screw should still be properly adjusted, but I think removal of the spoke protector may have absolved the bike shop of some responsibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's the limit screws

You got a sweet ride for sure. This is all on the shop if the chain shifted into the spokes. It's your low side limit screw. A quarter turn would've saved your hanger. Thank God for the inventer of the hanger, though. I bet your shop will be happy to fix you up and not have their reputation tarnished. Hold onto your bike.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
meloh1 said:
Nah, if you were really a man you would have whipped out your trusty multi-tool, removed the derailleur, cable and housing, shortened the chain and continued the ride on your new, and very expensive, SS.
You guys are all forgetting that this is a FS you're dealing with. You can't just shorten the chain and have a SS on it without a tensioner, and that isn't going to happen without a hanger.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
The hanger did it's job, it avoided further damage by breaking up.

The SS fix would have helped but as he mentioned was easier to walk back than to break the chain, etc. Another consideration was that it's a full boinger, when singlespeeded it would have been asking for more trouble.

Take it to the shop and explain to them what happened, you'll not get a new bike but you may get a free hanger.

Good luck.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The area on the spokes where the derailler hit was at a lower point then where the protector was. I removed the plastic protector because I've had problems with past bikes where that has come loose. I've never had a bike do this before. Even with the protector I still think this would have happened. IF I'm at fault then so be it... I will pay for my mistake. Lesson learned.

I did the pre-ride around the block adjusting the bike (suspension, seat angle, etc...) to my liking last night. I didn't notice any problems with the shifting but I also didn't get into the big ones.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
CrankyMonkey said:
The area on the spokes where the derailler hit was at a lower point then where the protector was. I removed the plastic protector because I've had problems with past bikes where that has come loose. I've never had a bike do this before. Even with the protector I still think this would have happened. IF I'm at fault then so be it... I will pay for my mistake. Lesson learned.

I did the pre-ride around the block adjusting the bike (suspension, seat angle, etc...) to my liking last night. I didn't notice any problems with the shifting but I also didn't get into the big ones.
Spoke "protector"? Is that what that stupid plastic thing was that I promptly removed from my rear wheel because it wobbled as the wheel turned? I thought it looked like some cheezy plastic thing they put on walmart bikes. LOL...

Oh well, I probably didn't need it anyway...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts