Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my first ride yesterday and it was awesome. First FS ride as well so I didn't know what to expect. The way in was a good climb so I clicked into the stiffest PP setting and away I went. Not as "solid" feeling as my HT, but climbed away with no bobbing but with more control. The area is rocky and the rear soaked up the bumps even with the stiff setting. Riding singletrack was great as the bike seemed more in control and less twitchy then the HT and would rail corners (for me anyways) more confidently. Overall the bike is more stable going slow especially in the rough stuff. I hit some rock garden and it really worked good. Going downhill was much more fun and fast and the bike worked better the faster I would go. I heard the BB is low but I didn't smack anything, yet. The Fox suspension is sweet and really smooth. I didn't feel the need to lower the fork for climbs though it is possible to do so. The hyd. Juicy 7's were so much better than my old rim brakes. The bike weighs in at 29 lbs., so pretty good for FS, IMO. I did put my WTB Rocket V ti saddle on it and changed the grips, but its stock otherwise. I am totally pleased with my purchase and couldn't really ask for more.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
RobG said:
Why are the rotors crap and what linkage did you change?
Some of us have had noise and/or vibration issues with the Avid wavy and polygon rotors. In some cases, replacing them with round Avid or another brand of rotor is the only fix.

As for the linkage, the only thing I can think of is that some of us have also had an issue with the linkage making contact with the frame when the shock is close to or fully compressed. Specialized has a revised linkage that fixes this problem.

Some of us have had BOTH issues...like me! I still love the bike, however! :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would you know if the bike has the revised linkage or not? I just got mine last week and it was ordered directly from Specialized.

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
RobG said:
How would you know if the bike has the revised linkage or not? I just got mine last week and it was ordered directly from Specialized.
Specialized has stated that the linkage problem was only on early production bikes. I got mine back in Nov 2004. If that's the case, I'd think that your bike would not have the problem.

Easy way to check is, let all of the air out of the rear shock and compress the rear end fully. Check for contact between the linkage and frame.

See this thread for pics:

·
Two wheels are best
1,135 Posts
RobG said:
Specialized has stated that the linkage problem was only on early production bikes. I got mine back in Nov 2004. If that's the case, I'd think that your bike would not have the problem.

Easy way to check is, let all of the air out of the rear shock and compress the rear end fully. Check for contact between the linkage and frame.

See this thread for pics

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.