Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cycologist
10,333 Posts
I watched part of it, really just because I found it in the Southeast Forum. But I also got bored, which is typical for me and why I rarely watch these. Video just captures very little of the trail experience.

The better videos use multiple cameras, some off the rider/bike, some in different locations on the bike. I know that's a lot more expensive and work, but makes a lot more interesting video. I know it's tough but edit down, that's a long video and quickly gets too repetitive.

Net Wurker does a good job with video. Normally, I would advise to keep any intro super short, but he mixes it up enough here to keep it interesting:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/426634/

·
Professional Crastinator
6,595 Posts
The only time a long (>3 minutes) video works is if you do a LOT of scene cuts and camera angles. I did a 15 minute vid of a local trail (1 lap takes me nearly an hour) and people liked it because I cut right to each noteworthy trail feature. The intro was maybe 3 seconds just to orient the viewer to the trailhead, then you basically watched a whole bunch of 6 second cuts, with 3 different camera angles (onboard/POV, fixed camera approaching, fixed camera departing) depending on the trail feature/scenery.

Another vid I did was really good for the first couple minutes with fixed camera shots, then the POV started and even I shut it off.

-F

·
jcd's best friend
3,406 Posts
Nice work! Seth's Bike Hacks recommends that new content creators should stick to about 5 minutes until they build up a large audience. I've found that my 5 minute video nets me close to 3 minutes of watch time per video.

I also think you need to step up the bit rate in your video. It will get rid of all those small pixels you see throughout the video. Do you use any specific editing software? If so, it might have an option to set your bit rate. You want to match the bit rate to the original file so the video comes out clean on YouTube.

Other than that, it was a pretty good edit!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work! Seth's Bike Hacks recommends that new content creators should stick to about 5 minutes until they build up a large audience. I've found that my 5 minute video nets me close to 3 minutes of watch time per video.

I also think you need to step up the bit rate in your video. It will get rid of all those small pixels you see throughout the video. Do you use any specific editing software? If so, it might have an option to set your bit rate. You want to match the bit rate to the original file so the video comes out clean on YouTube.

Other than that, it was a pretty good edit!
thanks man! I just use iMovie on my Mac. Recorded 4k 24fps. But when I exported it to my computer I only saved in 1080p. Could have been the problem. But compressing 4k videos takes FOREVER.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.