Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... CRACK! :(

So I took my new Soul Cycles Dillinger out for it's first proper ride out on a ride that i expected to be a challenge for a rigid SS. The ride went nicely, the bike felt pretty good and things were going sweet until...

On the last leg of the ride the trail turned very rocky, I knew what to expect so I was pumping the trails as much as possible, unweighting as often as i could and floating over as many rocks and steps as possible. However one square edge group of rocks had the bike stalling although I managed not to go over the bars, the front end made a horrific cracking sound. This freaked me out and i ended up taking the last half mile very easily.

I've checked the head tube, fork, brake mount out and I can't see anything that's damaged, but i was wondering if any of you could suggest what i check please? Do you think it could of maybe just been something bedding in? The headset, the brake mount and caliper moving or something like that? I don't want to be put off riding my nice new bike that's all! :)

Other than that the ride was great, really enjoyed the bike...

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Does any part feel loose or is there any additional flex anywhere? Maybe try poking at all your bolts with the appropriate size wrench to see if any bolts snapped. Any cracks in the front rim? Handlebars would take a lot of force from an impact like that too

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing feels flexy but looks like I'm going to have to take it all apart and have a real good look. Thanks for the suggestions :)

And I thought these new fangled 29rs were supposed to roll over anything?! ;)

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
Might check

Just J said:
... CRACK! :(

So I took my new Soul Cycles Dillinger out for it's first proper ride out on a ride that i expected to be a challenge for a rigid SS. The ride went nicely, the bike felt pretty good and things were going sweet until...

On the last leg of the ride the trail turned very rocky, I knew what to expect so I was pumping the trails as much as possible, unweighting as often as i could and floating over as many rocks and steps as possible. However one square edge group of rocks had the bike stalling although I managed not to go over the bars, the front end made a horrific cracking sound. This freaked me out and i ended up taking the last half mile very easily.

I've checked the head tube, fork, brake mount out and I can't see anything that's damaged, but i was wondering if any of you could suggest what i check please? Do you think it could of maybe just been something bedding in? The headset, the brake mount and caliper moving or something like that? I don't want to be put off riding my nice new bike that's all! :)

Other than that the ride was great, really enjoyed the bike...
the rim welds/eyelets, hub flange and maybe your QR.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
finch2 said:
could just be bars moving in the stem
That was my first thought.

Maybe the stem moved on the steerer.

Wheels usually make pingy sound if anything. Possibly the seam/weld on the rim?

Do you use carbon bars? Could possibly be internally cracked.

Lock on grips could have twisted.

Axle shifting in drop out.

Did you fall back on your seat and shove it down a bit?

Saddle rails shifting on seatpost clamps.

Tons of stuff it could be, I'm just throwing possibilities out there:skep:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had my seat shift from a dead stop and it made a loud crack. Also a newly installed CC headset came loose when I square edged a large root resulting in a cracking noise.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I've just stripped the front end (the crack sound definitely came from the front!) and all is well, I've thoroughly checked the wheel, fork, steerer, stem, bars, headset and head tube welds etc and there's nothing suspect looking at all. My thinking is that it was probably the wheel seating itself in the dropouts as these are both new and the dropouts seem to have lost their lacquer in places where the skewers tighten against the hub, now, so it was probably that.

All's well though, phew! :)

I'll probably take one of the other bikes (Orange P7 SS with Fox 120 Terralogics or Intense Spider 2 with Fox Talas RLC 150) down the rocks next time though! ;)

·
Professional Crastinator
6,541 Posts
I had this happen once with the headset seating just a touch farther. Just re-clamp the stem.

I also had a creak (not a single crack) when my bars were not clamped evenly. I loosened the bar clamp, re-aligned, and re-tightened = creak was gone.

My buddy did actually crack his lower HS race once, though, doing what you described. I saw him do it and I heard the crack. We couldn't find the crack, but before the end of the ride the lower race started to fall apart and the only thing to increase the tension on the headset was a key ring that happened to fit as a HS spacer. :thumbsup:

-F

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.