Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Riding and lovin it.
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the weather in SW Chicago is becoming nicer I final got out to do a nice long ride. I was shooting to do 20 miles but with the paths being soft from all the rain I did 15. The trails are from a old US Army armery.

Sorry pics are on the crappy side, I brought the Nikon D60 with and forgot the battery. (idiot).

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
captain smoke eater said:
No I built it up my self, the Salsa ride wonderfully I've ridden alum for some time but I think the steel rides 100x better. Going again to day for a ride at the same place.
Nice build... Agree with you on the ride quality. Alloy bikes can ride nice, but by and large, steel bikes are better, and Ti bikes, if you can afford them, are like great steel taken to 11. You just have to decide where you draw the line as far as how much you want to spend.

I love both my steel and Ti Salsa bikes. I kind of thought that once I started building my Ti stable out, that my love for the steel bikes would eventually fade. But in reality, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, if anything my love and appreciation for the ride quality and balance of the steel frames has grown. They remain faithfully in my stable aside my ti bikes.

Enjoy your new ride!

Cheers,
MG

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same here. Finished my build Saturday and had my first ride on Sunday.. What a fun bike to ride!! I haven't really been on a hard tail for over 12 years and am glad I have that option now. I had forgotten how nice Steel is to ride :) I'm not a weight weenie so much but my bike came out at 29.2 lbs! I was a little surprised at how much it weighed, a full pound heavier than my full suss. Anyone else have a similar result?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Very nice looking build. Where are those trails at? Joliet area?

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is a really pretty bike you've got there. I might be biased though, as I am also riding a nice blue El Mariachi with matching fork...

That said, I've been nothing but impressed with the way the thing rides. Actually, I've found the bike gets better with each ride...I hope you find the same!

·
EXORCIZE
2,242 Posts
captain smoke eater said:
Well I did it went SS. for starters I went with 32-20 to get the feel for it. I also have a 16tooth cog for the road and multi track. Going SS make the bike look 100x better.
Where in the rear dropout did 32X20 put your axel? Almost all the way to the front?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts