Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden my Fatboy on dirt a little before today, but today's ride was 100% dry, firm dirt. Holy krap was a it a fun ride.

I'm riding my RIP9 tomorrow, I hope its half as much fun as the Fatboy was today. It really started me wondering if I could survive on fat alone, or if I'm heading there. My last ride on the RIP9 was amazing, so maybe it was just the great weather and conditions here today.

I guess today's ride was at a pretty non-technical place, tomorrow is techy heaven, so that will probably make a big difference.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Felt the same way on my charge cooker maxi. My riding partners had their 26 full suspension and we swapped on the trail a few times. Nothing as fun as the fat bike. By the end, I wanted to add a front suspension fork and make the maxi my full time ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jisch

You still riding the GCs in the dirt, or are you going with something else? Seems to make sense to maybe go with a 4" wide tire, that is cheaper for the non-snow weather here in CT. I would be interested in if you have any recommendation for dry weather fat tires, which would be more reasonable cost, considering all the sharp rock we have here in CT.

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
Jisch

You still riding the GCs in the dirt, or are you going with something else? Seems to make sense to maybe go with a 4" wide tire, that is cheaper for the non-snow weather here in CT. I would be interested in if you have any recommendation for dry weather fat tires, which would be more reasonable cost, considering all the sharp rock we have here in CT.
The Vee8's have been getting pretty good reviews.

FREE SHIP 48 STATES* FAT BIKE TIRES PROMO SALE 120TPI Folding Bead Vee Rubber Your Choice - Vee8 or Mission 26x4inch

·
Banned
3,796 Posts
Been riding dirt all week on my cooker maxi and loving it! Went out with a coupla guys on shiny new non fat bikes. They were definitely wondering:) then one got on my charge and was amazed at how well it went uphill even at 33 lbs.

The vee 8's are great dirt tires. Quiet and fast on road too. Just running the stock 1480 gram 60 tip version that came on the bike. They'll be worn out just in time for that new panaracer tire to come out in June. Boom that'll take another pound plus of weight off.

I don't miss riding non fat at all.

rog

·
Registered
86 Posts
how do the Vee's set up tubeless?

my bud/lou's seem overkill for dirt riding
i think they would chew up the trails pretty badly too

dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Switched to fat last spring and haven't looked back yet. Fun every time I ride, and that's not even considering the grip and stability that the tires give in all kind of different conditions. 5" tires for winter (should have bought studs though) and 4" now that spring is here.
I occasionally ride a fixie in town, but the narrow BB takes a few minutes to get used to.

·
Banned
3,796 Posts

dave
No idea. Last time I ran a tubeless set up was over 10 years ago. With how lite q-lite tubes are and how easy throwing a tube in and airing it up is, I see no reason to go tubeless in a fatbike. 8-10psi in dirt and no worries pinching.

rog

·
turtles make me hot
11,484 Posts
I only finished my 907 in February so I'm still diggin' riding it.
Rode it last night on singletrack. Had a blast. Made the very sandy sections of our Long Island trails easy.
I'm currently on Clownshoes with Bud and Lou. So much traction I hardly use the brakes.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from a fast ride on technical trails, while I'm sure it would have been a fun ride on the fat bike, there's no way I could have ridden that fast. I think the RIP9 will keep its place in my shed. Catching air is a lot of fun too - not that you can't do that on a fat bike, but suspension surely makes it more fun.

I have a set of Floaters on order for summer riding, I don't think I need the big GCs for summer (and I'd rather save my expensive tires for winter). I probably wore them down more in one dirt ride yesterday than I did in 150 miles of snow rides.

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
8,582 Posts
The first time I encountered the prototype Fatboys was in early April of 2013 at Santa Teresa County Park here in San Jose, CA. Nothing but dirt and rocks. No snow for hundreds of miles. I don’t know how much testing they did with them in the snow though. All I can say is that I wish they made available the anodized blue frame or even the purple one that they were testing that day. I was on my 9:zero:7, and the one guy from Specialized riding the prototype Fatboy going down a favorite trail of mine (basically a rock and boulder-strewn mess) caught up with me… of course he was on a Bud/Lou combo and I was just on “skinny” 3.8 Nates. Seemed like a great geometry setup for non-snow technical singletrack riding.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts

my bud/lou's seem overkill for dirt riding
i think they would chew up the trails pretty badly too

dave
easy peasy. I've got about 800 miles on a vee 8 on my rear, it's great everywhere bit in mud. I put it on backwards sorry a little more traction; there has been little discernable increase in rolling resistance. I've never had one on the front, though.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I considered V8s, but I ride on slippery roots and rocks often, I went for more traction (and rolling resistance) with the Floaters, but I'll bet the V8s would have been fine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I got to ride a Fat Boy the other day, loved those huge tires. I have BD Fantom Comp on order, but that FatBoy really has me second guessing my decision. Imagine how great the Fat Boy would be with front suspension? The Fatboy Fsr has to be on the drawing board too.

Thanks for your write ups on this bike.

·
bigger than you.
3,070 Posts
I considered V8s, but I ride on slippery roots and rocks often, I went for more traction (and rolling resistance) with the Floaters, but I'll bet the V8s would have been fine.
I ride those conditions regularly, a vee 8 in back and a snowshoe up front handles them with aplomb. Where the snowshoe was lacking in the snow, it really shines in the dirt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts