Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a bike that I can use for commuting and trail riding. I also want a bike that will last for many years and take me through the beginner - dirt junkie stages.

Because I want to use it around town and don't (yet) plan and doing any hardcore downhill/fs riding, I'm looking primarily at hardtails. So far the bikes I'm considering are the Fuji Tahoe, the KHS Alite 2000, and the Bianchi Denali or Kingbee. I'm also considering saving some money and taking step down with the Fuji Oultand Disc or the KHS Alite 1000.

My previous bike was a Trek 800 hybrid... bought new in 1992, it finally kicked... but worked well as a NYC commuter.

Any thoughts, suggestions or alternatives would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Riding free's the mind
1,019 Posts
That will work

How about something from Specialized, Rocky Mountain or Kona, maybe Santa Cruz. The one's you mentioned are ok as well. I

I don't think there are any miracles left in a hardtail bikes, it's really about getting a descent frame that's your size, then spec'ing the right components. The level of compnents will drive the cost of a mass production bike. Get a good frame, you can always upgrade the stuff on it later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm primarily looking at these brands because I know an out-of-state dealer that will sell them to me $$$ off retail.

So I imagine these are all decent frames. They are all aluminum except for the Denali... is Al the way to go? In some cases (Tahoe/Outland) the frame is the same, so it really does come down to components. Would I notice that much difference between the Deore and the Deore LX (or the XT for that matter)? Or Hayes brakes vs. Avid? I know it's all about components.. but at this mid-range how much difference is there between them?

·
255 Posts
Buy the one that fits you best. Different manufacturers use different geometries and one might feel better to you than another. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with any mid-range bike from a well-known manufacturer. There are some differences between the bikes and parts you mentioned -

Materials: Is the Denali steel? IIf so, it will be somewhat heavier than AL, but absorb more vibration. AL is stiffer, but lighter. I personally prefer steel, but most of my friends ride AL. Test ride and see what resonates with you.

"Name" bikes: Bianchi has a long history and their bikes may be a bit more refined in terms of finish and detail.

Parts: With respect to Deore, LX, and XT, you may perceive some difference as you move up, but all of these are solid groups. Buy the best parts you can afford, but focus on the frame and which ride you prefer. Hayes v. Avid? I am assuming the Avids are cable actuated as opposed to hydralic Hayes. The Avids would be more serviciable and some actually prefer cable to hydra. Its probably a wash either way.

Good luck!

·
Riding free's the mind
1,019 Posts
Go XT

My second bike was all XT equipped, and I rode it for 6 years without needing an upgrade. I think it's a great performing component group for beginners through advanced riders, yet not as pricy as XTR. The v-brakes are ok, but the drive train components are reliable and offer snappy confient shifts. It's good enough that if you decide to upgrade your frame someday, your components can easily transfer over.

·
Registered
234 Posts
steel

You really should test ride them. All steel bikes are not equal, and I don't mean cheap Hi-Tensil compared to CroMo. If I'm remembering right, the Denali is fairly light, and made from Dedacciai tubing. It will be a sweeter ride that most mass production Al hardtails. Bianchi knows more about steel bike frames than just about any other big manufacturer. A Denali will also likely outlast any Al frame you buy and probably hasa lifetime frame warranty.

·
Riding free's the mind
1,019 Posts
Good point

Some of the best hand made custom hardtails are made from steel. Though I haven't ridden one extensively, a good steel frame is supposed to be a nice combination of compliance and strength. Plus the better steel tubing these days is very light.

In fact one of my long term plans is replacing my old Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail to a custom steel frame some day when I have extra funds. (if i weren't married, I'd already have that custom steel frame!).

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,844 Posts
KHS Alite 2000

I have a 2002 KHS Alite 2000. It has been a great bike. I have upgraded the fork to a Psylo because my Judy blew out. I just ordered new wheels because the stock ones finally wore out. I have done upgrades here and there. It was worth the $550 I paid for it a year and a half ago. Soon I think I'll get a Iron Horse Hollowpoint Sport.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.