Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been biking for a few years, and today is my first race. It's part of The Trek School series, as I'm racing with my high school mountain bike team. We are racing at Woodnewton (Ontario,Canada) and I'll be riding a 2013 stumpy comp hardtail.

So far, for prep, I rode Monday and Tuesday, ran Wednesday, rested Thursday, and today is the race!

The course opens for pre-riding at 11:30, but since our school isn't able to get up until 12:00, it will have to be a fairly short pre-ride.

I'll post back tonight, after the race!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Formerly of Kent
12,347 Posts
Been biking for a few years, and today is my first race. It's part of The Trek School series, as I'm racing with my high school mountain bike team. We are racing at Woodnewton (Ontario,Canada) and I'll be riding a 2013 stumpy comp hardtail.

So far, for prep, I rode Monday and Tuesday, ran Wednesday, rested Thursday, and today is the race!

The course opens for pre-riding at 11:30, but since our school isn't able to get up until 12:00, it will have to be a fairly short pre-ride.

I'll post back tonight, after the race!

Next time, don't take a rest day the day before the race.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I'm racing the o-cup there on Sunday. Post back with how the conditions are. They've had a lot of rain there I think. This will be my first race this year. Seriously out of shape and not ready! Haha.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Next time, don't take a rest day the day before the race.
I agree. I usually try to take my rest day two days before the race. Then the day before go out for a somewhat easy ride. You don't want to kill yourself the day before the race, but you want to make sure to get the blood flowing. Stretch out real well when you get home, get a good night's sleep, then wake up and go hard!

Hope you had fun at your first race

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was great! Came 5th in my age group ('98 born)! Didn't feel like I could have gone harder, it was so much fun. We did a 5k lap twice, my lap times were around 18 min first lap 19 min second lap, total time of 38:07, 30seconds ahead of the person behind me, but the person in front was 1:00 ahead. Conditions were great, for the person racing o-cup there was a bit of mud in some places nothing really bad. It started to rain as we left. If you want, i can put the lap we did on strava and post a link ? May not be the same lap as o-cup but if you want I could.

Maybe next race I'll take my day off 2 nights before and take a easy ride the night before. Next race is next Friday in Durham Forest (Ontario, Canada)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Congrats on your finish!! Glad conditions were good. Don't worry about posting a link. I think the course will be changed anyways. I didn't know Ontario had a high school racing league.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE

The results were posted on the website, had better lap times and final times then previously posted, says there were only 10 racers in my category, but more than that, first 2 racers pulled way ahead.
Screen Shot 2014-05-03 at 1.00.42 PM.png

my name is Graham Fong, 5th racer, plate 13

1 - 8 of 8 Posts