Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests I am thinking about trying my first race on the 21st of this month in Culpeper VA. http://www.fredevents.org/battle_at_burke.htm Anyone else planning to race here or raced here in the past? I have not ridden the trail so im kinda nervous and not sure what to expect. My question is what are some of the things i should be training for being that i have never raced before? Also is there particular things i should be doing, other than riding, to help me prepare for the race? Thanks everyone for all the help!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've done two races so far, and got my ass kicked both times, but I had so much fun, it didn't matter.
The best way to prepare is to ride. Ride a lot all season. A few days before the race you might want to just rest, eat healthy, and just stay relaxed. And pace yourself during the race.

I'm sure there are specific training exercises, and weird routines and diets that the hardcore racers use, but I say try it first, get your ass beat, then find your weaknesses and improve on them. My problem was endurance. Since the race was really early in the riding season, I wasn't in the best shape yet. The novice course was only 5 miles, but at my eager race pace, I blew all my energy within the first 2 miles, and started riding sloppy as hell by the last 2.
But I had so much fun getting muddy and bloody that it didn't matter.

Do it. You'll be back for more.

-MrMook

·
Registered
198 Posts
I did my first race on July 11. I came in fourth out of 11 people. It was the beginner class a lot of younger kids were racing, but it was awesome. At around the third lap I thought i was gonna die, I thought I was in good shape but the intensity of how I was riding I was not used too. It was a fun experience and I feel great for having finished and tried it. It definitely brought my love for biking up to a new level. I will undoubtedly race again, but is it something I really want to get into I don't know. Anyways do it and have fun, just have fun, it is something you love to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts